- Advance your career and be a part of a leading mining company in Laos
- Operation going through expansion phase to be a large open pit by world standards
- Your choice of attractive FIFO or in-country residential roster
This is an exciting time to join PanAust and our subsidiary company, Phu Bia Mining in Laos. Our Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation and our Ban Houayxai Gold-Silver Operation in Laos are both delivering strong production and cost performance. In addition, the PanAust Group is progressing well in its Stage 1 Feasibility Study of the Frieda River Copper Project in PNG.
Laos is a safe, developing country, located in the heart of South East Asia. It is bordered by Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam and China, making it the ideal base to explore the region. Vientiane, the capital city, offers an attractive lifestyle for families with modern housing options and facilities including international schools, an impressive range of restaurants, gyms, day spas, sports clubs and weekend getaways.
PanAust offers experienced mining professionals the opportunity to advance their career by contributing to the development and continuous improvement of the operations, standards, systems and processes that will underpin our future growth. As an employer who values diversity, we encourage women to apply for all available positions. By joining our team, you will play an important role in developing our highly motivated Lao national workforce in line with our commitment to localisation.
We offer an attractive salary package and excellent residential or fly in, fly out rosters that includes travel in company time. For residential roster, we offer an attractive salary package including housing and children’s education allowance, performance bonus, medical and insurance cover. Transport to and from site is provided by the company, with travel in company time. Our modern mine camps provide a range of Western and Asian food and sporting and recreational facilities, including football field, gym, pool tables and wet mess.
This position is primarily based at our Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation, located approximately 120km north of the Lao capital Vientiane; however, as you will provide support to both Phu Kham and our Ban Houayxai Gold-Silver Operation, you will be required to travel between the two sites.
Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation comprises an open-pit mine feeding ore to a process plant with recovery of copper and precious metals into a saleable concentrate using conventional flotation technology.
Ban Houayxai Gold-Silver Operation comprises an open pit mine feeding ore to a conventional Carbon in Leach (CIL) and gravity recovery process plant.
Reporting to the Geotechnical & Hydrogeological Superintendent, the Senior Geotechnical Design Engineer will be responsible for managing and overseeing geotechnical design projects, performing detailed slope stability analysis and reporting, providing design solutions, identifying critical data gaps, planning drilling and mapping programs to de-risk mine plans, provide updates to the structural model from field mapping and core logging data and also coaching and mentoring for Lao employee.
The role will work within the PBM geotechnical projects team, alongside another senior engineer. You will ensure all short to Life of Mine geotechnical designs are assessed for Phu Kham and Ban Houayxai Open pits. You will also be responsible for the development of geotechnical design parameters for current and future projects. The job will be demanding as Phu Kham is a large and complex open pit. This job will be suitable for a driven and experienced open pit geotechnical design engineer looking for a challenge.
Your outstanding leadership and coaching skills will be critical to the ongoing development and performance of the local Lao workforce and expatriate geotechnical engineers in your team. This is an excellent opportunity to really make a difference and see your team grow and develop as a direct result of your efforts.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Geotechnical slope stability analyses and technical reporting
- Identification of areas of geotechnical risk and development of remedial plans
- Radar data interpretation and trigger threshold alarm settings
- Coordinating and scoping of Geotechnical Investigation programmes
- Oversee data collection for the purpose of updating structural models
- Ensure geotechnical databases are updated and secure
- Review and interpretation of laboratory data
- Proactive identification of geotechnical risk by review of the quarterly and annual mining forecast
- Assist in the management of the Geotechnical monthly costs to keep within budget
- Provide on the job training for the Lao staff for skills development
To be successful in this role, you will require:
- Bachelor Degree qualifications in Geotechnical Engineering and or Geology
- Proven Geotechnical experience in an open cut mining environment
- Advanced skills in RocScience Suite, Surpac and Leapfrog
- Exposure to expatriate requirements in a developing country is desirable
- Outstanding leadership and strong communication skills
- Strong commitment to training and supporting the growth of Lao National employees
- Unwavering commitment to safety
Click on Apply Now to be directed to this vacancy on the Pan Aust careers website and complete the application process there.
Any problems with the link, copy here: