This contractor position is on a temporary basis and will be located initially in Vancouver, Canada and then transfer to the jobsite in Bagdad, Arizona.
Responsible for day-to-day leadership, management and direction of both the evaluation and the execution phase of major mining and metallurgical process facilities projects. Reporting to the VP of Engineering and Construction, the scope of this position includes all aspects of the project execution: safety, quality, engineering, procurement , construction, planning, coordination, construction management and commissioning beginning in the early phases of project definition with project concept, scoping, detail design, execution planning, phasing, scheduling, constructability reviews, and continuing throughout the construction, erection and commissioning phases of the project, with particular emphasis on jobsite health and safety, environmental protection and labor relations with hand-off to the site operations team for beneficial operation.
- Assists with the evaluation and execution of major mining, civil, earthwork and metallurgical process facilities projects in the definition of scope, quality, and estimate of cost and development of required schedules to effect the safe design, procurement and construction of required facilities.
- Develops, organizes and provides leadership to the project management resources defined to effectively manage the projects planned within the company. This will include permanent staff positions, direct contract positions, third party consultants and other contractors to estimate cost, develop field execution strategies, and derive required schedules for all phases of major projects, with particular emphasis on constructability of facilities and compliance with HSEC guidelines.
- Interfaces closely with site-based leadership, health and safety personnel and other FMI organizations to ensure that all work plans allow for execution in a manner consistent with the expectations of the operating properties and in a safe and environmentally responsible manner.
- During the early and engineering phases of all projects, responsible to direct all constructability design reviews and participates in execution planning discussions to ensure well-conceived and logical schedule development.
- Manages all the project resources to create methodologies to provide a thorough analysis of jobsite, workplace and local conditions, anticipate potential issues and constraints that may interfere with efficient execution of the field phase of the work and develop contingency plans and strategies to minimize their impact at all company locations.
- Leads efforts for all projects to identify construction phase sequencing and activities that must be completed to ensure successful completion of the work in accordance with the requirements of FMMC and FMI.
- Implements and ensures comprehensive health, safety and environmental programs are in place for all projects that meet with the requirements and expectations of Freeport. Takes the lead role in ensuring that all entities contributing to the execution of projects do so in a manner that promotes safe and healthy workplace practices, in an environmentally and socially responsible manner and in compliance with all health, safety, environmental and community guidelines and requirements.
- Directs efforts on all projects with the EPCM contractor management to develop a well-conceived contracting plan that promotes effective utilization of both field resources and construction equipment, allowing the erection phase to complete in minimum time.
- Works with Freeport Project Controls teams to implement and maintain adequate progress measurement methodologies including strategies to correct for deficiencies in budgetary compliance and on-time completion of assigned scope of work. Implements corrective strategies to realign the project with budget and schedule requirements.
- Leads the collaboration with all the project teams to develop and implement strategies to realign any projects with the established budget and schedule.
- Manages the direction for the project activities of the EPCM contractor and contractors in the field (if appropriate) to ensure that work is accomplished efficiently and in accordance with schedule.
Nature of work: Works on highly complex issues and defines broad strategy for company, division or site. Almost always delegates to other leaders to achieve objectives.
Level of interaction: Frequently collaborates with senior engineering and construction executives and external colleagues.
Autonomy/decision making: Works with little or no supervision and is routinely expected to set high-level objectives, priorities, and timelines that will significantly impact the company or division of the company.
Budgetary responsibility: Responsible for department budgets to effectively manage all projects.
Managerial responsibility: Manages managers.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field, or equivalent in training and/or field experience and a minimum twenty (20) years experience in the field, engaged directly in the practice of construction and construction management OR
- High School diploma or GED and a minimum twenty (25) years progressive experience in the field, engaged directly in the practice of construction and construction management.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of project management, engineering, project controls, contract administration, procurement, expediting, materials management (logistics), construction and contracting.
- Proven experience in the management of mining, heavy industrial and capital projects with a value exceeding $500 million.
- Work involves frequent travel, international assignments, and relocation to the site of work.
- Proficient in the use of personal computers in a business environment. MS Word, Excel, Outlook, essential.
- Experience with mega projects (values exceeding US$ 1.0 billion), especially large mineral processing projects.
- Prior EPCM experience preferred with design office and field management.
- Heavy industrial construction project management experience.
- Experience in Lean Construction practices.
- Productivity and Performance improvement experience with a workforce of several thousand people.
- Solid background in heavy machinery installations.
- Understanding of Labor requirements and forecasting.
- Experience with scheduling programs.
- Experience in setting KPI’s and tracking on a day to day basis..
- Predominant experience in field roles in all disciplines.
- Working as a team member (Client, EPCM & Contractors).