Under limited supervision, as part of a newly formed team dedicated to developing Alternative Tailings Technologies projects, this metallurgist / process engineering subject matter expert plans, organizes, supervises and evaluates metallurgical testing, analysis, and design of tailings dewatering processes such as large-scale high density and paste thickeners, and filtration equipment. Responsible for establishing metallurgical performance targets for site.
- Supervises and develops metallurgical staff.
- Anticipates threats and opportunities to meeting design production capacity of new projects. Reviews, recommends and implements strategies to provide confidence in ability to achieve forecast production levels in design projects.
- Defines metallurgical process for design of alternative tailings technology unit processes and defines targets for site-specific implementation. Unit processes may include cyclones, slurry pumping, high density thickeners, paste thickeners, filters, and conveyors / stackers of solids streams. Reports metallurgical or process issues/problems, completes data analysis and makes recommendations to appropriate site management for correction or operational improvement opportunities.
- Defines, supervises, enhances and monitors metallurgical testing and analysis practices for the project at designated sites for project implementation and supervises or serves as technical expert on the most complex metallurgical testing.
- Contributes to project(s) and associated site(s) strategic planning and budgeting efforts for metallurgical testing.
- Provides guidance and counsel to the project director/manager and, as appropriate, to site management team on applicable programs, practices and existing/proposed local, state and federal regulations. Maintains current working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local regulations.
- Leads the process of predicting production and making production forecasts for the assigned unit process.
- Contribute to the preparation of technical reports. Provides data analysis, economic evaluations. Supervise or review, investigate and troubleshoot forecasts and other operational data. Determine cause of production shortfalls and recommend solutions.
- Reviews, recommends and implements new or enhanced testing equipment or protocols.
- Evaluates and administers contracts with vendors for the provision of services and equipment
- May represent the site on company-sponsored steering teams.
- Performs other duties as required.
This position requires international air travel. In accordance with Freeport-McMoRan’s requirement for all employees whose job requires international travel, if you are hired you will be required to submit proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to travel by air internationally, unless the company has granted a medical or religious accommodation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Metallurgy or related engineering discipline and seven (7) years experience in metallurgy or closely related scientific field, including lead or supervisory experience, OR
- Master’s degree in Metallurgy or related engineering discipline and five (5) years experience in metallurgy or closely related scientific field, including lead or supervisory experience
- Ability to mentor and lead others in company safety and environmental initiatives, culture and values. Drives action in existing programs and makes process changes with a safety & environmental focus.
- Understands technical and operational aspects of the unit operations assigned
- Demonstrated ability to predict and make production forecasts for the assigned unit process.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical information in clear and concise form.
- Demonstrated ability to research, recognize and identify interdependence of complex process variables within scope to anticipate issues, draw valid conclusions and make recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage large projects, and provide timely and quality results.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate technical needs, drive and optimize complex metallurgical test work based on complex data analysis and make recommendations for process improvement changes.
- Experience in effectively leading or being involved in multi-disciplinary groups and demonstrate accountability of work to self and other team members
- Skill in supervising, evaluating, training and motivating employees.
- Skill in preparing, defending, and monitoring budgets
- Demonstrated ability to supervise, mentor, engage, lead and empower internal or external resources to solve problems. Adapts management style.
- Advanced degree in mineral processing, metallurgy, or related engineering discipline.
- Professional/Registered Engineer certification
- Experience with large material handling systems (mixing, conveying, slurry pumping, stacking) in a mining environment, specifically alternative tailings technologies of pumping highly thickened tailings, crushed rock and mixed material conveyance, and/or filtered tailings conveyance and stacking
At Freeport, we are committed to providing an employment package that recognizes excellence, rewards value and impact, and encourages safe production. Benefits and compensation are foundational elements of this package, along with career development opportunities, job progression and a culture supported by our core values, among others. Learn more at: FCX Jobs - Working Here
We provide an industry-leading benefits package with some of the lowest cost to employees – offering health, wellness, life insurance, paid time off, retirement savings and more. These benefits are available to you and your dependents starting day one. Our comprehensive benefits program is important to how we support the health and wellness of employees and their families. For further benefits information please click here: Benefits Details
The estimated annual pay range for this role is currently $108,000-$152,000. This range reflects base salary only and does not include bonus payments, benefits or retirement contributions. Actual base pay is determined by experience, qualifications, skills and other job-related factors. This role is eligible for additional incentive compensation considerations based on company and individual performance. Additionally, this position is currently eligible for annual long-term incentive consideration. Long-term incentives are contingent upon authorized approval under the terms and conditions of the Company's plan and award agreements. More details will be shared during the hiring process.
Safety / Work Conditions:
Candidates will be required to participate in a post-offer, pre-employment medical examination for the following positions which may have essential job duties that can impact both their own safety and the safety of others:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel).
Equal Opportunity Employer