This position, whilst working closely with the Finance Manager, will play a crucial role in the development and maintenance of the financial accounting functions at the Cobre Panama mine site. This includes supervising a team of financial accounting personnel. Whilst overseeing the day to day financial accounting functions of Cobre Panama, the incumbent will be required to ensure that all functions are carried out in accordance with Group policies and procedures as well as complying with all relevant statutory requirements. As a senior member of the Cobre Panama finance team, this role requires regular dealings with various external and internal parties. Accordingly, the candidate should have proven communication skills and negotiation experience in challenging and dynamic environments. Furthermore, the individual requires strong professional skills, coupled with sound commercial acumen.
Location: Donoso Site: Cobre Panama - Mine Site
- Working in conjunction with the Finance Manager to ensure that:
- Financial systems are implemented to provide timely, accurate and relevant information for end users
- Strong working relationships are developed with end users such that their information requirements are clearly understood and implemented.
- All month-end accounting procedures are completed and that month-end close-off and reporting is achieved within Group close-off deadlines.
- Appropriate internal controls are implemented commensurate with the operating environment
- Oversee the payroll and compliance/taxation functions to ensure that all statutory requirements are met on a timely basis.
- Supervise site-based financial accounting, payroll, capital projects and accounts payable functions.
- Co-ordinate the external and internal audit process.
- Undertake all treasury functions including monthly cash forecasting and reporting.
- Build a cohesive and effective finance team within the company.
- Ensuring that the team have the necessary skills and experience to support the business requirements;
- Managing and directing the activities of the team to ensure business objectives are met;
- Build and promote a cohesive team to ensure employee job satisfaction and skill enhancement opportunities;
- Organize team member's individual development programs as part of the teams overall skills matrix requirement and performance objectives;
- Positively contribute, through strong leadership, and adherence to the company's Health, Safety and Environmental policies and procedures.
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Undergraduate degree in accounting/finance or related field.
- Postgraduate qualifications desirable (eg. CPA, MBA)
- Possess a minimum of 10 years relevant financial experience
- A strong supervisory background with proven ability to train and mentor staff
- High degree of computer literacy
- Experience with JD Edwards and Hyperion software will be highly regarded, but is not essential.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft application software (Word, Excel, Visio, Project).
- Must be able to organize and prioritize work, and be able to meet tight deadlines, without compromising on attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with all stakeholders.
- Advanced Spanish and English language skills – written and spoken
- Firm commitment to safe work practices
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1.3 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.