Based in Mauritania, Kinross Tasiast is set to become one of the great gold finds of our generation. It is the first mine in a highly prospective greenstone belt, located within an extensive gold system that is largely underexplored.
To coordinate activities related to the execution of the strategy for the mine planning team and to ensure service and / or operating standards are met (internally and / or externally). To contribute to the design and development of processes, practices and methodologies in the mine planning team. To ensure continued growth of the team and to maximize operational efficiencies and profitability.
1.To develop and implement business practices within mine planning that align with the organization’s overall strategy
a.Implements processes, policies, systems, and practices within mine planning that contribute to effective mine planning
b.Acts as a change agent and project sponsor for key initiatives; models organizational values, sets the cultural tone, and prioritizes business goals
c.Collaborates with senior management to identify and analyze business requirements and the implications for the team; identifies gaps and implements agreed upon solutions
d.Identifies key performance measures for the team; monitors and reports on the achievement of targets and revises strategies as needed
2.To coordinate activities related to mine planning
- Creates mid term (3 month to 1 Year) work schedules based on monthly production targets
- Creates quarterly work Schedules based on budget and forecast production targets.
- Assists in implementing processes, policies, systems, and practices within mine planning that contribute to effective mine planning
- Analyzes and interprets information in reference to mine planning
- Researches information to support decision making and improve processes, technologies or methodologies as they pertain to short and mid range planning
- Complies with the policies and practices in the mine planning department
- Prepares communication materials, as they are required to ensure the delivery of short and medium range mine plans
- Keeps on top of trends related to mine planning and incorporates this information into work assignments and approach
- Actively seeks mentorship and learning to improve product or technical knowledge and skill set
Work is complex and performed under limited direction. Problem resolution is within established guidelines and procedures, requiring the use of judgment to determine which of many methods are applicable in any given situation. Seeks assistance from others when dealing with unfamiliar or problem situations. Proceeds on own initiative but supervisor is available to provide direction in the amendment / development of new practices and procedures. Work is reviewed for attainment of objectives, adherence to policies, procedures and timelines. The Intermediate Mine Engineer report to the Senior Mine Engineer.
Education and Experience
- BSc in Mine Engineering
- Additional specialized education of up to 2 years
- Formal professional or technical registration in appropriate area of expertise
- 3-5 years of related work experience with a minimum of 3 years working at an active mine site
- Previous experience in the mining industry is essential
- In-depth understanding of Kinross’ processes a definite asset
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to function within the qualifications outlined in the attached physical demands sheets
- Knowledge of engineering techniques as they apply to ore body evaluation and mine operations
- Strong engineering skills, a working knowledge of surveying, computer applications, and mine design, geostatistical modelling techniques, mine equipment capabilities, and production rates
- Proficiency with Surpac, Minesched, Datamine, Whittle 4X and other mining computer programs
- Collaborates with senior min engineer to identify and analyze business requirements and the implications for the team; identifies gaps and implements agreed upon solutions
- Designs initial, intermediate phases, and ultimate pushbacks, based on ore reserve models and constraints
- Assists with designs for phasing and sequencing of new pits
- Integrates and assists with the preparation of short-term mine plans and schedules, and integrates them with the long-term plans and designs
- Designs dumps, access roads, and ramps, and mine site facilities
- Determines rock type characteristics and the relationship with mill grinding, and the potential pit limits to produce realistic production targets
- Suggests changes to model criteria based on comparisons with mine performance
- Ability to communicate in French and/or Arabic would be a definite asset.
Adheres to all safety and environmental considerations. Wears PPE at all times while in production environment. Is alert and observes, corrects and reports unsafe conditions. Follows operating procedures and complies with all regulatory requirements. Develops policies and procedures relating to safety, the environment and individual, and organizational development. Ensures that direct reports and respective work areas are in compliance with Health and Safety policies and regulations. Ensures that direct reports have the necessary training, skills, knowledge, and tools to do their jobs safely. Provides support to all areas on issues that jointly involve production and safety. Observes operations to detect violation of safety regulations and compiles safety and production records. Assists in accident and incident investigations and ensures that recommendations are implemented by agreed upon dates
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.