The Assay Laboratory Technician I is responsible for the safe, efficient, reliable and accurate handling and preparation of all samples submitted to the Assay Laboratory. The incumbent must possess good communication skills, be self-motivated, and well organized while continuously aligning daily functions to reflect Kinross’ values.
- Prepare all samples for analyses including; data entry of sample information; loading and unloading ovens; crushing and pulverizing samples; handling reject returns; and operating the forklift.
- Responsible for the preparation of all Mine, Exploration, Mill, Met Lab, ADR, and Dedicated Plant samples.
- Maintain complete and accurate records of all samples in the logbook and the computer database.
- Perform daily housekeeping tasks and the routine maintenance of preparation equipment.
- Complete the task training and any required written exams for Assay Laboratory Technician I and demonstrate proficiency on each task.
- Must complete a 90-day probationary period by successfully meeting the performance standards of the job.
- Must be willing to advance to increased levels of responsibility within the department.
- Responsible for the quality and accuracy of all submitted samples prepared for analyses. Proper preparation is key to the accuracy of analyses, which impact mine planning and operations.
- Must follow all applicable safety procedures to safeguard personnel and equipment while performing daily tasks.
- Each individual will be responsible to follow and complete assignments given to them by their supervisor. Must be capable of independent thinking and making conscientious decisions when direct supervision is not available.
- Each individual will be responsible for proficiency with specific procedures associated with tasks assigned. Procedures are to be updated when necessary, and those updates are to be communicated to personnel.
- Each employee is given an employee manual. The employee’s job is to know and support the company policies and procedures.
- Compliance with all company policies and procedures including, but not limited to safety, environmental, confidentiality and code of conduct.
- Meets or exceeds established performance expectations set by management.
- Consistently exercises discretion and judgment in job performance.
- Works without risk or harm to self and others.
- Punctuality and regular attendance required.
- Performs other related functions as assigned by supervisor.
Education and Experience
- Must be detail-oriented. The accuracy and quality of sample preparation and laboratory analysis is important and is used for key tasks by other departments.
- Must be careful in their work habits. The accuracy and quality of sample preparation is important and is used for key tasks by other departments.
- Assay lab experience preferred.
- Must be able to recognize when samples are missing, contaminated or otherwise out of the ordinary and follow proper corrective procedures.
- Each person is responsible to train on the required tools and equipment for the position held.
- Must be physically fit and capable of lifting up to 50 pounds repeatedly.
- Possesses good communication and interpersonal skills.
- General understanding of mining operations, as well as limited understanding of milling and maintenance operations.
- Working knowledge and skill with P.C. utilizing work processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software.
- Strong verbal, written, analytical and persuasive skills and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Demonstrates strong administrative, organizational and technical writing skills.
- Accountable for the timely completion of assigned duties with considerable requirement for detailed accuracy.
- Must be able to think analytically and accomplish goals with minimal supervision.
- Must be 18 years old and presently authorized to work in the United States on a full time basis.
- Requires valid driver’s license.
Health, Safety, and Environmental Requirements
- Adheres to all safety and environmental considerations.
- Have a strong commitment to safe working practices.
- Wears Personal Protective Equipment at all times while in the production environment.
- Is alert and observes, corrects, and reports unsafe conditions.
- Follows operating procedures and complies with all regulatory requirements.
- Strategic Effectiveness
Developing and communicating rigorous and creative business strategies that drive sustainable value.
- External Engagement
Understanding and building relationships with external parties that strengthen and sustain competitive advantage.
- Business Focus
Applying commercial rigor and discipline to all business decisions and customer relationships.
- Living the Kinross Values
Aligning behavior, decisions and actions with Kinross values and principles.
This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
- Works under the direct supervision of the Assay Laboratory Supervisor.
US work permit required
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.