Manage, develop and monitor Safety and general work standard performance, for all maintenance employees working in the Engineering and Services Department; primarily the Floatation, Filtration, Tailings/Decant, Saline and Fresh Bore Field Pumps and facilities, Plant services (water and air) and also a complete Magnetite plant.
1. A large number and various types of pumps ranging in sizes and manufacturers.
2. Centrifugal Pumps -vee belt drives, direct shaft drives and also coupled and reduction drives.
3. Agitators and their respective drives.
4. Various compressors and blowers.
5. Floatation Cells, Tanks and pressure vessels of all sizes.
6. Falcon and Knelson Gravity Concentrators.
7. Larox Ceramic Plate Filters.
8. Five Thickeners/Clarifiers
9. Two main water lines of 160km each – supplying plant water potable water.
10. Two large tailings dams and associated pipelines.
- Responds to emergency situations and unusual conditions to ensure the safety of personnel and limit potentially negative impacts on Maintenance, Production and Costs.
- Responsible for ensuring the abovementioned plant and associated systems, remain in compliance with the MCM OH&S and Departmental Policies and Procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining a high standard of housekeeping in all areas within the associated work areas.
- Conducts meaningful and informative safety meetings on a Daily Prestart, Weekly and Monthly basis.
- Ensures quick follow-up to safety issues that are identified through Daily Inspections, Occupational Health and Safety reports and Safety Committee requests.
- Formulate and enforces Safe Work Procedures for all employees and contractors working in the Backend area of responsibility.
- Responsible and accountable for achieving maintenance and production targets and ensuring maximum utilization of primary assets.
- Responsible for development and executing work plans/schedules with the planning department.
- Work with Maintenance Planning Coordinator to develop tracking systems for agreed KPI's, to allow accurate analysis of maintenance and operating performance of Plant Equipment leading to timely decision making to maintain performance at or above Budgeted targets.
- Participate in departmental decision-making, whilst ensuring that employees are empowered to make decisions on issues within their competency. Monitor and mentor decision quality, checking for adherence to policies and standards, and coaching for improvement
- Encourage employees to investigate and trial new ideas, methods and technology, to ensure continuous improvement throughout the area of influence
- Promote active participation of employees in identifying and reporting potential environmental hazards. Liaise with environmental and community relations staff regarding issues, incidents or non-compliance within the area of your responsibility
- Provide all necessary internal and external reports on safety, operational and environmental performance, ensuring accuracy and timeliness.
- Ensure timely and effective communication of workplace information required to effectively perform maintenance functions, making reference to Supervisors and other key employees when sensitive or critical situations arise.
- Ensure job specific Safety skills & responsibilities are met:
- Area specific Inductions as required
- Application of Company Safety Policy & Procedures
- Knowledge and understanding of Mines Regulations, OH & S and Duty of Care
- Attend and contribute at sites safety meetings, (as appropriate)
- Identify all risks within the work area and develop controls to minimise or eliminate such risk
- Utilise necessary PPE and special safety gear in accordance with conditions of work
QUALIFICATIONS, Education & Experience:
- (Essential) Current First Aid qualification and Driver's licence
- (Essential) Current Passport and ability to work within Mauritania.
- (Essential) Trades Qualification and Tertiary Qualification in Engineering/Maintenance management
- (Essential) Ten years' experience in large scale Processing Operations including senior supervisory and management roles
Personal Attributes & Abilities
- (Desirable) Appreciation for Mauritanian culture and ability to communicate with or able to learn French or Arabic
- (Essential) Capable of reading and writing (legibly) in English language
- (Essential) Planning, analytical and problem solving skills
- (Essential) Leadership, motivation of others
- (Essential) Team building, recruitment, coaching and counselling
- (Essential) Well developed written and oral communication skills
- French Language Skills will be highly regarded
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.