Based in Mauritania, Kinross Tasiast is set to become one of the great gold finds of our generation. It is the first mine in a highly prospective greenstone belt, located within an extensive gold system that is largely underexplored.
To oversee Mining Engineering activities and to ensure service and / or operating standards are met (internally and / or externally) with a focus on short, medium and long term mine planning.
To design and develop processes, practices and methodologies in mining engineering. To lead the execution of the strategy and ensure alignment with the organization’s long-term strategy. Initiate and undertake projects to optimize performance within engineering and to ensure adherence to industry regulations and organizational standards.
A critical deliverable of this role is the efficient transfer of knowledge to our local Mauritanian staff, while ensuring rigorous performance management is implemented and that succession and development plans are in place with the aim of attaining Kinross Mauritanisation objectives.
- Ensure that all Mine Engineering personnel comply with site and regulatory safety practices and procedures.
- Oversees activities related to the Mine Engineering team
- The incumbent will be responsible for mentoring and developing the National Workforce during the duration of the contract period. Previous expatriate experience is preferred with a focus on local team development
- Responsible for carrying out engineering tasks, independently or under limited supervision
- Key areas of expertise will include: Life of Mine Planning with a focus on resource optimization, strategic mine option evaluation, ultimate pit designs, optimum pit phase designs and related schedules, dumping designs and schedules, leach pad designs and loading schedules, equipment scheduling, dewatering plans, tailings planning, reserve calculations, environmental compliance review, regulatory compliance, direction of outside consultants and contractors
- Permitting activities including application submittal, monitoring, and annual reporting
- Advises on a variety of internal and / or external requests
- Contributes to the development of policies and practices
- Maintains excellent rapport with external stakeholders
- Monitors costs and implements approved recommendations for maximizing operational efficiencies
- Analyzes information and prepares technical documents to support decision making; presents recommendations and status updates to key stakeholders
- Communicates information related to engineering and mentors others
- Provides information on operating standards, compliance requirements and policies to key stakeholders; recognized as an internal expert in area of expertise and troubleshoots unusual or complex issues
- Sets performance targets and measures, monitors, and manages overall performance of the team and direct reports
- Budgeting and scheduling – weekly, monthly and annually.
Education and Experience
Must speak / read / write English
French and Arabic language skills are highly regarded but not essential
10+ years of related work experience
Previous experience in mining industry is essential. Must be have a deep understanding of the Drill & Blast and Load & Haul processes and how to effectively plan and manage their efficient execution.
Must have experience using MS Office, Surpac, Whittle, NPVS, FPC and Minesched software packages.
Knowledge and Skills:
Self-motivated, with trainer coaching skills, committed to impart your mining operations and technical knowledge towards our national workforce
Able to think logically to solve problems and the tenacity to work until a solution is found
Able to work effectively both as part of a team and independently without supervision
Highly effective planning skills geared at reducing inefficiencies and maximizing safety
Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management in a clear and concise manner and to work with others in a team environment
Willingness to work in adverse weather conditions as required
University degree in engineering or equivalent work experience in related field
Additional specialized education of up to 4 years
Formal professional or technical registration in appropriate area of expertise
Valid Driver’s Licence
• Strong verbal, written, analytical, and persuasive skills and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management
• Excellent administrative and organizational skills with the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
• Good working Knowledge of MS Office
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.