Lead and manage the mechanical maintenance team at dry plant, including primary- and secondary crushing, conveyors and stockpile reclaim, to ensure optimum plant availability and performance. Provide innovative engineering solutions and develop strategies for plant optimization.
Location: Donoso Site: Cobre Panama - Mine Site
Key area: Promote safe, healthy and fair work environment
- Develop standard safe working procedures and actively participate in HSE initiatives
- Carry out formal workplace inspections on a routine basis
- Ensure employees work in compliance with H&S (e.g. isolation, lock out and tag out), quality and environmental standards and procedures
- Manage and coordinate daily corrective actions
- Enforce housekeeping standards in all designated work areas
Key area: Help to set up maintenance functions at dry plant
- Help on hiring and train team to cope world class crushing plant
- Ensure sufficient spare and wear part levels
- Ensure that maintenance plans are created and implemented
- To create and implement SOP's
Key area: Execute mechanical maintenance plan to meet established targets
- Work with managers and superintendents (Planning, Engineering & Plant) to ensure that dry plant equipment of a metallurgical process plant operates according to Standard Operating Procedures (and that all machinery/equipment is maintained according to supplier recommendation and industry best practices) within determined budgets and meet demand.
- Ensure that all dry plant preventive and predictive maintenance plans are in accordance with the needs of the operation that activities are planned and scheduled via a computerized maintenance management system
- Ensure that economical spares inventories are established and maintained. Actively seek alternative suppliers to meet quality and cost targets.
- Provide input to shutdown planning in coordination with Planner(s) so that plant availability is maximized and contractor resources is minimized. Systematically develop methods, materials, tools and parts so downtime is minimal.
- Provide technical support for the mechanical maintenance personnel on a daily basis to maximize production and efficiencies and optimize costs.
- Report on maintenance activities and performance indicators
- Manage budget for PM, upgrades (installation of new equipment) and plant parts inventory.
Key area: Collaborate with E&M team and related functions to optimize efficiencies
- Evaluate plant performance to identify and initiate development opportunities.
- Review plant design for debottlenecking and efficiency/operability improvement and provide financial justification for related capital projects.
Key area: Provide leadership to the team
- Manage a team responsible dry plant mechanical maintenance activity.
- Ensure that shifts are appropriately staffed. Participate in the interviewing, hiring, training and development in an effort to retain and develop the best talent for the organization.
- Provide clear work objectives and expectations of the performance levels required to achieve business plans and production goals. Manage performance by setting expectations, conducting performance reviews, and providing feedback and coaching.
- Work with Human Resources and E&M management to identify training opportunities that provide depth and versatility for all new and advancing maintenance employees. Determine training and development needs, develop plans and establish performance metrics to meet those needs, and provide ongoing assessment tools to ensure desired results are being achieved.
- Promote a positive employee environment ensuring a continuation of the solid working relationship with all employees.
- Act as deputy for the colleges as required
- Mechanical Engineer Degree
- Or related Trade Certificate to Heavy Fixed Plant Equipment
- Worked in mining or heavy industry
- Minimum of 8-10 years' experience in a maintenance role; 5 years of which should be in Senior Supervisory capacity
- Knowledge of JDEdwards or other enterprise systems
- Strong user of maintenance management systems and MS Office
- Plant specific experience on gyratory, primary and secondary crushers (Krupp, Metso)
- Worked in fixed plant front end of a large, hard rock mine
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Team player and results orientated
- Highly motivated & driven
- Methodological and organized
- Relate and communicate to people on all levels
Good Problem Solving ability & Patient attitude
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.