Provides analytical and project management support for various Operations Strategy programs and projects, from cross-site programs such as Achieving Excellence, to high-priority individual site support projects and business cases. Contributes to each project by combining experience and business judgment, with financial and other analysis, the development and delivery of senior-level communications materials, collaborative project management, and other diagnostic and support tools.
- Provide analytical and project management support for various Operations Strategy programs and projects, from broader cross-site programs such as Achieving Excellence, to high-priority individual site support projects, by doing the following:
- Generally speaking, supports Kinross and its sites and projects in making their most strategic decisions, through analysis, business case development, modelling and impactful communication.
- With moderate instruction and guidance, performs error-free and insightful analysis, financial or otherwise, that supports site, cross-site or Corporate projects.
- Applies understanding of key business drivers within our area to build and maintain financial models, which will often support multi-million dollar decisions (if not 10s or 100s-of-millions of dollars). Pressure-tests others’ models and analysis.
- Supports broader corporate global programs outside of own area, such as Working Capital, the Kinross Way for Supply Chain and Maintenance, etc. This includes the development of reporting tools, supporting site action plans, etc.
- Supports the Project group in completing Scoping, Pre-Feasibility, or Feasibility studies via analytical support and project management activities.
- Based on experience, contributes technical advice and insights to projects.
- Makes decisions within procedures and guidelines in standard situations.
- Explains and presents complex information in a straightforward way, by developing and delivering communications materials for sites and senior executives, up to the COO and SLT level.
- Supports the analysis and preparation of communication materials for capital requests, Strategic Business Cases, and the Strategic Business Planning process in general.
- Assist with non-standard requests for support and identify solutions to such requests.
- You will need to be as self-directed as possible to achieve the above tasks, while working within guidance, guidelines and policies.
- Other, general support as required:
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience.
- Manages the flow of information between the sites. Drives and facilitates discussions around best practices
- Uses developing knowledge of Kinross operations to support sites, pressure-test business models, etc.
- Analyzes and interprets data (e.g. operating metrics like: tons hauled; equipment efficiency; downtime due to maintenance, operating constraints and suboptimal performance)
- Assists in identifying cost savings opportunities and building full potential cost models.
- Responds to a variety of internal and / or external requests, many of which will not be standard and will require advanced problem-solving approaches.
- Prepares straightforward communication materials, manuals, and other written materials related to evaluations, technical issues, programs, or systems
- Actively seeks mentorship and learning to improve product or technical knowledge and skill set
- Performs analysis and coordination on due diligences for Mergers and Acquisitions. Potentially assist with merger integration.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, accounting or finance or a related field. Additional specialized education, including masters level degree (specifically an MBA) or equivalent would be beneficial
- Three or more years of experience in the mining industry or another natural resource industry, and/or with a major consultancy, preferably with progressive experience in a project/operations environment (corporate or site-level).
- Five or more years of experience with exposure to financial and strategic modeling in an asset-intensive industry (preferably mining)
- Experience supervising or mentoring financial or consulting employees
- Expert level skills in Excel: ability to build financial models, and perform analysis to pinpoint opportunities for improvement.
- Proficiency with Powerpoint
- Working knowledge of a second language, preferably Spanish, but also Portuguese or Russian
- Operations and strategy analysis experience including developing and analyzing financial and full potential models
- Understanding of financial statements and mining concepts
- Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skills set: ability to complete a Design of Experiments, Logistical Regression, Modeling, statistically literate etc.
- Proven team leadership skills and/or project management ability
- Ability to interact effectively with Senior Management
- Strong technical, operational and financial analytical capabilities
- Highly collaborative work style in working with highly skilled corporate, regional and mine site staff (both technical and financial) using influence skills rather than formal reporting authority
- Flexible, fast learner that can come up to speed on a problem in an unfamiliar area to start adding value quickly
- Ability to handle significant variations in workload in a fast-paced environment
- Team player, ability to interact effectively in teams either as a leader or team member.
- Strong communication skills in presentation development, oral communication and other documentation
- Well organized, works well independently and in team settings
- Possesses good time-management skills, and is able to work effectively under pressure
- Conversational French, Spanish, Portuguese or Russian is a major asset, but not a requirement.
- Ability to function within the following travel requirements: frequent travel to remote mine sites in Mauritania, Ghana, Chile, Brazil, Nevada, Washington State, Alaska and Far East Russia. The expectation is that the role will require up to 2 weeks of travel out of every 4 weeks.