Based in Mauritania, Kinross Tasiast is set to become one of the great gold finds of our generation. It is the first mine in a highly prospective greenstone belt, located within an extensive gold system that is largely underexplored.
The Mobile Maintenance Superintendent is accountable to the Mobile Maintenance Manager for the safe, efficient, accurate and cost effective mechanical maintenance of the mobile equipment fleet at Kinross Gold – Tasiast Mine. The incumbent will provide leadership, development, and direction to his subordinate staff to develop, and sustain a performance culture that the business objectives of the Company are consistently achieved through the efficient management of the operation.
· Develop and implement work procedures, Job Safety Analyses (JSA’s), systems and standards that will comply with occupational health and workplace safety standards to meet Company and national guidelines, policies and legislation
· Actively promote the recognition in subordinate staff that the health and safety of their personnel is of the highest priority and cannot be compromised.
· Assist the technical training department in the development of a training matrix for all maintenance personnel and includes a methodology of assessment for each position.
· Prepare longer-term training program to keep all mechanical maintenance personnel up-to date in technical upgrades &/or improvements to maintenance techniques.
· Assist in preparation of a skill-based pay program for all mechanical maintenance personnel (if applicable with Company requirements).
· Actively promote, coach, and mentor the national staff to develop to the minimum standards of the TMLSA Mauritanization program.
· Actively promote, coach, and mentor the maintenance team in the business processes outlined in JDE, and Kinross Way for Maintenance.
· Promote effective working relationships with all interdependent departments to enhance the performance of the core business.
· Determine spare parts stock levels for all mobile equipment in the mine operations.
· Determine all other consumable stock levels such as welding supplies, gases, fasteners, etc., with logistics personnel.
· Coordinate with logistics personnel an evaluation of potential consignment stock with suppliers of mobile equipment, and consumables if required.
· Prepare a specifications book which directs logistics personnel the minimum specifications required for a variety of materials, such as steel, adhesives, wires-cables, connectors, hydraulic reusable hoses and fittings, etc.
· Determine tool requirements for mechanical maintenance for the tool crib, slings, special tools, etc.
· Prepare procedure for the tool crib.
· Guide the planning department to develop, and implement long range planning, short range planning including major and minor components.
· Assist the planning department to prepare lubrication schedule for all mechanical equipment, initial fills, and frequency of lubrication.
· Closely liaise with the Mine Operations Superintendent and his/her teams to ensure that analytical results meet their business requirements in terms of timing and accuracy.
· Implement quality control procedures to ensure accuracy and reproduce the results.
· Monitor international practices and technology to advise management upon trends and alternative procedures to adopt in order to optimize mine performance and effectiveness.
· Provide input in the development of the operating and capital budget plans consistent with the goals of the business.
· Actively manage departmental costs to budget, provide continuous improvement methodology to enhance the cost effectiveness of the core business.
· Review, report, action and re-forecast departmental Key Performance Indicators on a regular basis which shall be no less than monthly.
· Assist in the proposal and implementation of authorized operating and capital expenditure strategies that will enhance the financial performance of the mobile maintenance department.
Education and Experience
Tertiary qualification in Mechanical Engineering or a related field or, trade certificate equivalent with extensive experience in Heavy Equipment Maintenance.
Minimum of 10 years senior supervision (recent Superintendent) experience in Heavy Equipment or Open Cut Mining, 5 years in a management position.
Proven leadership skills and abilities to develop expatriate and local staff technically, and as leaders.
Hands on management style encouraging participative input but with clearly focused business goals.
Ability to build teams to provide a performance culture.
Knowledge in continuous improvement toolset to promote team focusing, scoping, decisions, data gathering, analysis, process documentation, and communication.
Must have Large Shovel/Excavator experience 300t +
Large fleet size experience
CAT or O&K Shovel experience
Caterpillar Experience: Haul Trucks: 793, 789, and 777, Track Dozers: D10, D9, Wheel Loaders: 994, and 992, Wheel Dozers: 854, and 834, Motor Graders: 24M, and 16M.
Komatsu Experience: Haul Trucks: HD785, Excavator: PC1250-7.
Ability to communicate in English and/or French.
Computer skills: MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project,CAT SIS, Komatsu KOMTRAX, JD Edwards, Modular Mining, Matrikon, SOS.
Overseas maintenance experience.
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.