Teranga is a Canadian-based gold company, which operates the only gold mine and mill in Senegal, West Africa. Our vision is to become a pre-eminent mid-tier gold producer in Senegal and greater West Africa. Our mission is to create value for all of our stakeholders through responsible mining. We strive to mine responsibly in accordance with the highest international standards and serve as a catalyst for sustainable economic, environmental, and community development to share the benefits of responsible mining with all of our stakeholders.
This is a fly-in/ fly-out role: 8 weeks on / 4 weeks off roster with travel in company time or 6/3 roster with travel on employee's time.
Summary of Role
The Training & Development team identifies, develops and implements training and development strategies and solutions focused on the capabilities of the local workforce based on best practises while considering operational needs. The team works closely with the local and corporate HR teams and management team to develop, support and implement relevant and integrated people strategies and plans.
As a key member of the HR Team, the Training & Development Superintendent will lead, develop and implement key site wide training and development strategies while managing 15 direct reports, all of whom are focused on training & development activities to directly support the operation. This individual will work closely with the local and corporate HR teams to develop and implement relevant and integrated people strategies and plans.
· Identify site wide and departmental training & development needs and formulate and execute a training plan across departments aligned to the operation’s and Company’s business objectives and the Company’s strategic Balanced Operations Plan.
· Address behavioural/soft skill and technical training needs through appropriate solutions.
· Collaborate with local and corporate HR teams, departments and any other workgroups, to develop and implement progression, succession and localization plans and goals.
· Lead the development and implementation of competency models detailing skills and requirements for all job categories & positions.
· Develop a career development system and processes in collaboration with the broader HR team· Coordinate and oversee implementation of all internal and external, training as required including identifying and organizing appropriate facilitators/training.
· Identify and manage training providers, both within and outside of Senegal as required; provides oversight, consultation and final sign-offs on all technical training that occurs on site.
· Monitor, evaluate and report on the impact of training and development progress against the achievement of business objectives.
· Actively participate in the management of Company sponsored graduate and technical trade programs in association with identified Company and government stakeholders.
· Assist with the identification and management of Company sponsored bursaries for Senegalese academics in the pursuit of mining industry professional development.
· Serve as permanent member of promotion/localization committee consisting of Site Operations Manager, Heads of Departments and the Human Resources Superintendent to evaluate readiness and approve the promotion of high potential candidates’ into localized expatiate positions.
· Manage the site wide training & development budget and ensure that all training initiatives are motivated and approved by the Site Operations Manager.
Skills and Experience Required
· Bachelor’s degree in Business, Management, HR or related field and ideally tertiary qualification in training and development; minimum 10 years’ related experience with 5 years’ experience at the management level
· Minimum 5 years’ experience working on mining sites in developing countries (preferably French speaking Africa)
· Strong communication skills in English, (French is an asset) to effectively interact with employees and government officials
· Demonstrated experience developing and implementing training & development strategies, plans & programs with results
· Experience in the development and moderation of training programs and related assessment tools.
· Demonstrated ability and experience in training & development practices including methodology, benchmarking, assessment, and program development and implementation
· Must possess strong cultural sensitivity and be able to execute work successfully in a different culture
· Demonstrated experience developing and implementing workplace/career progression systems, as well as contributing to succession processes and localization/nationalization plans.
· Understanding of legislative requirements related to training & development
· Strong leadership, collaboration and relationship building skills
· Experience identifying and managing external training providers
· Proven facilitation and presentational skills
· Demonstrated people management experience including ability to coach and mentor team members of diverse backgrounds
Our Vision, Culture & Values
· We are committed to a culture with a friendly and informal environment; dedicated and empowered people who want rewarding careers and the ability to make good decisions that positively impact the business.
· We are a fast-growing junior miner that offers career opportunities; the work is challenging and exciting with tremendous growth and challenge.
· Health and safety is one of our highest priorities – we have an exceptional record and strive to continuously improve all practices.
· We are committed to social responsibility, to our people, and to supporting and sustaining the local communities.
Our Promise to You
Teranga Gold offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package. We provide excellent on-site accommodations and amenities including laundry services, single accommodation quads with en-suite facilities, tennis courts, a fitness centre, a grass soccer pitch, basketball courts and internet access.
If you experience difficulties submitting your CV on line, please email you CV to the HR Team at Teranga Gold at email@example.com