- Exciting time to join a growing mining company with a portfolio of offshore projects
- Career defining role - provide engineering technical support for two large, world class tailings storage facilities
- Brisbane corporate office role - relocation considered for international candidates
Reporting to the Principal Tailings Engineer, this position is based in our Brisbane corporate office. The small, dynamic tailings engineering team provides corporate-level technical oversight for existing and proposed storage facilities for PanAust’s operations and development projects. Your role will primarily focus on our Lao operations, delivering designs and scopes of work for all engineering activities related to our two large and complex tailings storage facilities. You will contribute to the development and execution of ongoing construction (including a major spillway construction) and Life of Mine (LOM) plans, undertaking quality control reviews of the work. As such, you will be required to frequently travel to Laos to complete site-based inspections and reviews.
This is an exciting career opportunity for a talented and ambitious engineer to work autonomously on some challenging storage facilities, while further developing your technical skills under the tutelage of experts in this field. We will consider providing relocation to overseas candidates seeking an opportunity in Australia, so are encouraging applications from all corners of the globe.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Providing technical input into all engineering design, construction and operational matters related to storage facilities, including the generation of high quality concept designs and technical reports
- Providing technical oversight and review of Consultants engaged to undertake engineering packages
- Developing engineering scope of works, delivery schedules and budget estimates for engineering activities
- Project management and contract administration
- Contributing to the development of LOM plans for the storage facilities
- Conducting routine site inspections of storage facilities to support corporate performance reporting and ongoing construction and operational activities
- Providing technical support and managing quality assurance activities during construction
- Assisting with independent reviews of dam instrumentation and environmental monitoring data supplied by sites including following through on actions required following review activities
- Providing technical input in risk assessments, develop corrective actions, implementing and monitoring the appropriate risk mitigation actions
- Assisting with the coordination of the Tailings Independent Review Panel and associated review activities undertaken by the panel members
- Assisting with the development of technical documentation including dam safety emergency plans, dam safety review reports and operation maintenance manuals
To be successful in this role, you will require:
- Bachelor degree in Engineering essential, with a preference for a civil engineering qualification
- Working knowledge of ANCOLD, ICOLD and / or other dam industry guidelines
- Experience in dams design (tailings, water and hydropower) including strong understanding of civil, geotechnical, structural, hydraulic and hydrological design essential
- Previous experience in tailings deposition and management, water balance management and closure planning design will be highly regarded, but not essential
- Understanding of the full life cycle of storage facilities and operational interactions from within a mining environment will also be highly regarded
- Superior technical, analytical and problem solving capability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to successfully engage with a range of key stakeholders
- High level of autonomy, coupled with a willingness to work as part of a team
- Flexibility to travel internationally at short notice
This is an exciting time to join PanAust, a copper and gold producer in Laos with pre-development opportunities in Laos, Papua New Guinea, Myanmar and Chile. PanAust’s producing assets are the Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation and the Ban Houayxai Gold-Silver Operation, located in Laos and managed by our subsidiary company, Phu Bia Mining. Both of these operations are delivering strong production performance which is expected to rise steadily over the next few years. The strategic direction of the Company is to maximise returns from its producing assets while advancing pre-development projects that offer potential to sustain and grow the business in the long term.
As a growing company, PanAust offers a diverse range of career challenges and opportunities, as well as a competitive salary package for the right candidate. As an employer who values diversity, we encourage women to apply for all available positions.
Interested candidates should click on APPLY - this will direct you to the PanAust careers website to complete your application.
*** NO AGENCIES PLEASE ***