Climax Molybdenum Co., a subsidiary of Freeport-McMoRan, is the world's leading molybdenum producer and supplier. Our global operations include both primary and byproduct molybdenum mines, integrated global operations, and local customer care. We provide our worldwide partners with the most reliable supply and highest quality molybdenum and rhenium products. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially responsible manner.
We offer outstanding opportunities for individuals who seek challenging, exciting and rewarding work for a company that supplies molybdenum for a variety of high-value applications in industries ranging from steel and oil to aerospace and construction. We encourage you to take some time to explore your career opportunities at Climax Molybdenum.
Assist in the development, coordination and execution of Health and Safety programs and procedures under the compliance of applicable laws, rules and regulations.
- Represent Site Management during MSHA/OSHA/State Mine Inspections, document regulated field activities, communicate company positions on potential violations, and address pertinent issues in the field to accommodate regulatory requirements
- Perform difficult and complex Health and Safety audits and inspections
- Assist Management in the development of Health and Safety procedures based on regulatory and/or client requirements
- Use and interpret applicable federal, state and local laws, ordinances, statues, regulations, rules, policies and procedures to support Safe Production
- Assist in responding to inquiries or complaints from clients, regulatory agencies and/or community groups
- Conduct safety training venues, including specialized safety training (e.g., confined space, LOTOTO) and Annual Refresher Training, as required
- Develop new safety training programs, as required
- Handle special projects as assigned
- High School diploma or GED and seven (7) years of Health & Safety experience, OR
- Bachelor’s degree and three (3) years of Health & Safety experience, OR
- Master’s degree and one (1) year of Health & Safety experience
- Thorough understanding of compulsory Health and Safety regulations, the regulatory process, company guidelines, and policies and consensus standards for Health and Safety
- Proficient use of analytical skills to assess risks in field situations or through data analysis and develop recommendations to support risk management continuous improvement efforts
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is in a mine or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects up to fifty (50) pounds during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, or manufacturing plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as allowed by applicable state laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability
Nearest Major CityFort Madison
JobHealth and Safety Specialist II - Ft. Madison, IA
Primary LocationUnited StatesIowaFt. Madison