The Financial Reporting team is responsible for the external reporting function of Freeport-McMoRan and its subsidiaries, including preparing the company’s Form 10-Q/Ks and other SEC filings. The Financial Reporting team’s other responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the preparation of internal reports/presentations; identifying, analyzing and documenting accounting issues internal reports/presentations; and other special projects. The Financial Reporting team regularly works directly and in cooperation with other departments within the FCX organization, including Corporate Accounting & Consolidations, Tax, Legal, Environmental, as well as with site personnel and internal/external auditors. For that reason, a key characteristic of the Financial Reporting team is its ability to work successfully and effectively with teams of diverse individuals.
The Senior Accounting Analyst - Financial Reporting will assist in the quarterly and annual reporting process through the preparation of SEC filings (i.e. Form 10-Q/Ks) as well as certain internal reports, and will be responsible for assembling a comprehensive set of workpapers for external auditor review. Other responsibilities include providing financial information through the reconciliation and analysis of accounts and reports in connection with the company’s month-end close process and completing other special projects as needed.
- Quarterly/Annual Reporting: Assist in drafting footnotes, MD&A or other assigned sections of the company’s Form 10-Q/K or other SEC filings, and the preparation of the company’s quarterly earnings release. Assist with the company’s SEC filings in EDGAR, including eXtensible Business Reporting Language (XBRL).
- Working with Auditors: Responsible for the preparation of a comprehensive set of workpapers supporting the company’s external and internal reports, and working directly with the company’s external auditors on the audit of information included within these reports.
Monthly Close: Participate in the monthly accounting close, including the preparation of journal entries, account reconciliations, and variance and account analysis for complex accounting areas such as derivatives, pension, environmental obligations, litigation and stock-based compensation.
- Review and Analysis: Gather and analyze data to assist in the preparation of company’s external filings as well as for internal management reports. Participate in the review of financial reports, including local statutory reports in foreign jurisdictions, for compliance with accounting and reporting standards.
- Technical Accounting Guidance: Stay informed as to new accounting guidance or issues that could impact current reporting requirements and/or disclosures, as well as future results of the company. Assist in the research of such accounting guidance/issues and the preparation of supporting documentation/memos.
- Special Projects: Provide direct assistance to the Financial Reporting team in the completion of special projects as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or closely related discipline and five (5) years of experience in Accounting, Financial Analysis or closely related area, OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or closely related discipline and three (3) years of experience as an Accountant for a public accounting firm
- Understanding of US GAAP, IFRS and SEC Regulations, and the ability to use accounting guidance tools (i.e. online libraries and audit guides) to research accounting concepts
- Ability to be self-directed and to handle multiple assignments effectively and efficiently in a face-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as collaboratively with a team of diverse individuals
- Ability to communicate (both written and verbally) with various departments within the company, as well as with site personnel (including international locations) and internal/external auditors
- Process oriented with strong attention to detail and organization
- Possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills and be able to craft and analyze options and make specific recommendation that enhance the company’s and/or team’s overall objectives and goals
- Proficiency in computer navigation and Microsoft environment, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- CPA Certification
- Experience with WDesk, SAP and HFM financial systems
- Knowledge of and experience with XBRL
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is performed primarily in an office setting
- Location requires mobility in an office environment
- Occasionally work will be performed in a mine, outdoor or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as allowed by applicable state laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability
Nearest Major CityPhoenix
JobSenior Accounting Analyst - Financial Reporting - Phoenix, AZ
Primary LocationUnited StatesArizonaPhoenix Corporate Office