The Kinross Corporate Head Office is located in downtown Toronto and supports Kinross operations and projects worldwide. Corporate functions include Finance, Procurement, Health & Safety, Human Resources, IT and Investor Relations.
Applies basic data analysis and methodology to a moderately complex system, program, and /or process. The role contributes to the design and development of analytical models, reports and insights, and requires basic data cleansing and analytical extraction skills. The role may prepare, audit and distribute information that is operational or financial in nature.
- Provide analytical and project management support for various Operations Strategy programs and projects, from broader cross-site programs such as Achieving Excellence, to high-priority individual site support projects, by doing the following:
- Generally speaking, supports Kinross and its sites and projects in making their most strategic decisions, through analysis, modelling and impactful communication.
- With moderate guidance, performs error-free and insightful analysis, financial or otherwise, that supports site, cross-site or Corporate projects.
- Applies understanding of key business drivers within our area to build and maintain financial models, which will often support multi-million dollar decisions (if not 10s or 100s-of-millions of dollars). Pressure-tests others’ models and analysis.
- Support broader corporate global programs outside of own area, such as Working Capital, the Kinross Way for Supply Chain and Maintenance, etc. This includes the development of key reporting tools, supporting site action plans, etc.
- Support Project Studies at various phases of development from Scoping through to Feasibility, providing analytical and financial modelling support, reviews of key drivers and inputs, performing tradeoff studies, etc
- Based on experience, contributes technical advice and insights to projects. Makes decisions within procedures and guidelines in standard situations.
- Explains and presents complex information in a straightforward way, by developing and delivering communications materials for sites and senior executives, up to the CTO, COO and SLT level.
- Supports the analysis and preparation of communication materials for AFEs, Strategic Business Cases, and the Strategic Business Planning process in general.
- Assist with non-standard requests for support and identify solutions to such requests.
- You will need to be as self-directed as possible to achieve the above tasks, while working within guidelines and policies.
- Other, general support as required:
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience.
- Manages the flow of information between the sites; drives and facilitates discussions around best practices
- Uses developing knowledge of Kinross operations to support sites, pressure-test business models, etc.
- Analyzes and interprets data (e.g. operating metrics like: tons hauled; equipment efficiency; downtime due to maintenance, operating constraints and suboptimal performance)
- Assists in identifying cost savings opportunities and building full potential cost models.
- Responds to a variety of internal and / or external requests, many of which will not be standard and will require advanced problem-solving approaches.
- Prepares straightforward communication materials, manuals, and other written materials related to evaluations, technical issues, programs, or systems
- Actively seeks mentorship and learning to improve product or technical knowledge and skill set
- Performs analysis and coordination on due diligences for Mergers and Acquisitions. Potentially assist with merger integration.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business or finance or a related field.
- Expert level skills in Excel: ability to build financial models, and perform analysis to pinpoint opportunities for improvement.
- Proficiency with Powerpoint
- One or more years of experience in the mining industry, preferably with experience in a project/operations environment (corporate or site-level), and/or one or more years of experience with exposure to financial and strategic modeling in an asset-intensive industry (preferably mining). Consideration will also be given to those who have undertaken co-op terms and/or a professional engineering year.
- Working knowledge of a second language an asset, preferably Spanish, but also French, Portuguese, Russian or Arabic
- Operations and strategy analysis experience including developing and analyzing financial and full potential models
- Understanding of financial statements and mining concepts
- Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skills set: Logistical Regression, Modeling, statistically literate etc.
- Ability to interact effectively with Senior Management
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
- Previous experience in the mining industry is strongly preferred
- Ability to learn quickly
- Flexibility in a fast-paced environment; ability to handle significant variation in workload
- Experience supervising or mentoring financial or consulting employees
- Well organized, works well independently and in team settings
- Possesses good time-management skills, and is able to work effectively under pressure
- Ability to function within the following travel requirements: frequent travel to remote mine sites in Mauritania, Ghana, Chile, Brazil, Nevada, Washington State, Alaska and Far East Russia. The expectation is that the role may require up to 2 weeks of travel out of every 4 weeks, although travel may be more condensed in certain periods, less in others.
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.