Under general supervision, provides technical expertise, guidance and leadership for Environmental projects and programs at assigned site.
- Determines and assesses environmental risk and develops regulatory documentation of results
- Performs hazardous waste site inspections and recommends appropriate action to management in compliance with regulations
- Reviews and develops appropriate recommendations regarding planned expansion, modification or closure of facilities which affect environmental discharges, emissions, and hazardous materials
- Serves as Project Manager or technical expert on large/complex environmental projects (e.g., compliance, remediation, or reclamation)
- Evaluates and administers contracts with vendors for the provision of services and equipment
- Provides guidance and counsel to the site management team on applicable programs, practices, and existing/proposed local, state and federal regulations
- Contributes to site strategic planning and budgeting efforts for environmental systems and issues
- Maintains current working knowledge of Federal, State and local environmental and occupational health regulations (e.g., CERCLA, NEPA, SARA, Clean Air and Water Acts)
- Provides leadership to less experienced engineers and technicians
- May represent the site on company-sponsored steering teams, e.g. Freeport-McMoRan Environmental Steering Team
- Performs other duties as required
Bachelor's degree in Engineering (such as Environmental, Civil, Chemical, Agriculture, Mining, Metallurgical, Geological or similar Engineering discipline) and five (5) years of Engineering experience in Environmental Management, including Project Management experience, OR
Master's degree in Engineering (such as Environmental, Civil, Chemical, Agricultural, Mining, Metallurgical, Geological or similar Engineering discipline) and three (3) years of engineering experience in Environmental Management, including Project Management experience
- Advanced degree or Professional Engineering (PE) Certification
- Working knowledge of NEPA, RCRA, Clean Water, Clean Air Act, storm water management, and state ground water protection regulations.
- Experience in mining, manufacturing, construction, oil and gas, or other heavy industry.
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is in a mine or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects up to thirty (30) pounds during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as allowed by state laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability
Nearest Major CitySafford
JobSenior Environmental Engineer - Safford, AZ
Primary LocationUnited StatesArizonaSafford 5 (Mine Operations)