- Advance your career and be a part of a leading mining company in Laos
- In-house opportunity to lead short to long term geotechnical and hydrogeological work for two world class open pit operations, plus input to new projects
- Live in Laos and enjoy a fabulous expatriate lifestyle – attractive drive in, drive out roster from Vientiane Capital
Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation is a conventional open pit mine producing approximately 70,000 tonnes of copper concentrate annually. The process plant, upgraded to a design capacity of 19 million tonnes per annum, comprises a SAG mill and two ball mill grinding circuits, each rated at 13 mega watts, with copper and precious metal recovery by flotation.
Reporting to the Mining Manager, you will provide leadership and direction across a range of geotechnical and hydrogeological areas, including the Phu Kham and Ban Houayxai open cut mines and infrastructure such as site access road cuttings, plant site and project areas. This is an exceptional career opportunity for a talented, experienced and established Geotechnical Superintendent looking to take on the next challenge in their career.
Your outstanding leadership and coaching skills will be critical to the ongoing development and performance of our local Lao workforce. This is an excellent opportunity to really make a difference and see your team grow and develop as a direct result of your efforts.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Design and implement short to long term geotechnical programs to meet Life of Mine needs and mitigate risks to operations
- Drive excellence in geotechnical risk assessment and hazard identification and establish a proactive approach to geotechnical risk management
- Ensure that identified risks are communicated and appropriately managed
- Develop an effective groundwater management programme
- Implement a ground control management strategy and establish and maintain effective slope monitoring
- Design optimal slopes for pit and infrastructure
- Propose and manage geotechnical and hydrological drilling programmes
- Provide appropriate geotechnical and hydrological inputs into the short and long term mine plans and mining production
- Provide lead geotechnical support to other PanAust projects
- Provide technical training and development for Lao staff in support of localisation
To be successful in this role, you will require:
- Tertiary qualification in geotechnical engineering ideal, however qualifications in other discipline areas will be considered if supported by relevant experience
- Extensive experience in senior geotechnical roles in open cut, hard rock operations, including proven experience at Superintendent level
- Experience in groundwater testing and drilling programs
- Experience managing multidiscipline teams
- Highly adaptable with strong commitment to train and support the growth of Lao National employees
- Unwavering commitment to safety
This is an exciting time to join PanAust, a copper and gold producer in Laos with pre-development opportunities in Laos, Papua New Guinea, Myanmar and Chile. PanAust’s producing assets are the Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation and the Ban Houayxai Gold-Silver Operation, located in Laos and managed by our subsidiary company, Phu Bia Mining. Both of these operations are delivering strong production performance which is expected to rise steadily over the next few years. The strategic direction of the Company is to maximise returns from its producing assets while advancing pre-development projects that offer potential to sustain and grow the business in the long term.
Laos is a safe, developing country, located in the heart of South East Asia. It is bordered by Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam and China, making it the ideal base for expatriates to explore the region on their breaks. Vientiane, the capital city, offers an attractive lifestyle for expatriate families, with modern housing options and facilities including international schools, an impressive range of restaurants, gyms, day spas, sports clubs and weekend getaways.
PanAust offers experienced mining professionals the opportunity to advance their career by contributing to the development and continuous improvement of the operations, standards, systems and processes that will underpin our future growth. By joining our team, you will play an important role in developing our highly motivated Lao national workforce in line with our commitment to localisation. As an employer who values diversity, we encourage women to apply for all available positions.
We offer an attractive salary package including housing and children’s education allowance, performance bonus, medical and insurance cover. This role is based at our Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation, located approximately 120km north of Vientiane and is offered on an attractive drive in, drive out roster. Transport to and from site is provided by the company, with travel in company time. Our modern mine camp provides a range of Western and Asian food, along with sport and recreational facilities, including football pitch, gym, pool tables and wet mess.
Interested candidates should click on Apply. This will direct you to this vacancy on the Pan Aust Careers website, to complete your application online.
For questions regarding this position or our recruitment process, please contact our recruitment team on +856 (0) 21 268