(Position is based at the mine site near the town of Fungurume)
Under general direction plans, organizes, manages, and controls the daily operation of the Accounting/Finance programs and systems for the Tenke Fungurume Mining (TFM) entity with main focuses in development and implementation of effective internal controls in accordance with the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), the company’s policies and procedures as well as audit support for external and internal auditing.
1. Provides leadership and work direction, and evaluates the effectiveness of internal control and business process performed by accounting staff as well as in other department/area as required by Controller or Senior Management. Identify and document the control process, provide recommendation in order to improve the existing control.
2. Plans, organizes and directs financial and accounting functions together with other Accounting Managers from different sections in order to meet the requirement and expectation of proper internal control, work quality performance and deadlines including accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank and petty cash payment transactions, journal recordation, reporting and data gathering for internal and external auditing including for government requests. Ensure that department responsibilities are performed and completed in a timely and accurate manner.
3. Provide support to review the financial statements and other reporting in accordance with the OHADA accounting principles and local statutory requirement as well as to ensure quality control and review in completing the accounting financial data in the CPCC forms for TFM annual tax return timely and accurately.
4. Ensure quality internal control and review in providing historical data and compiling and producing the financial data and information for internal and external reporting requirements.
5. As a member of the African Mining Finance Team, collaborates in developing, implementing, and assessing short- and long-term programs, goals, and objectives together for the Finance & Accounting department at TFM.
6. Ensures that accounting practices, records, controls and decisions are made according to GAAP, Company policy and Government controls or local statutory requirement. Involves the review contracts and other legal documents for correct application of accounting treatment.
7. Interacts and coordinates with financial staff of Finance & Accounting department at TFM and other departments in order to ensure accurate reporting and information provided for internal and external requirement as well as for audits.
8. As a member of the Africa Mining Finance Team, collaborates in the development of tactical and strategic plans. Contributes to off-shore business units’ strategic planning and internal control efforts for Accounting functions and all other areas. Assists department heads with their internal control enhancement.
9. Provides site management with information and advice including recommendations on selection of audit firms and other financial matters. Ensure quality internal control and review when evaluating contracts with vendors for the provision of accounting and financial services and equipment.
10. Represents TFM Finance and Accounting team for audit support and meeting discussion with government and external concerning financial data and other external reporting as required by Controller or Senior Management.
11. Perform other duties as requested
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or closely related field and seven (7) years of broad-based accounting/reporting experience in a public accounting firm and/or internal audit related field strongly preferred, including supervisory or management experience
Good knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (OHADA, IFRS), the Foreign Corrupt Practice Act (FCPA)
Solid proficiency with Computer and Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook)
Good verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills in French and English (bi-lingual)
Ability to plan, manage and follow through on assignments and communicate at all levels of the organization in a timely and professional manner
Ability to work independently and as a member of a team with minimal supervision. Demonstrates ability to handle confidential information in a sensitive and tactful manner.
Good administration and leadership skills
Ability and willingness to work and reside at the Tenke Fungurume job site, a remote location in the Democratic Republic of Congo
A professional certification as either a Certified Public Accountant (CPA or Chartered Accountant), a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), or comparable certification strongly preferred
Good knowledge of SAP strongly preferred
- Position involves work to be predominantly executed in rural areas of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Resources can be limited, so the candidate must be a self-starter, have good personal organization skills for managing activities across multiple sites and in challenging circumstances
- Work is in a mine or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects up to thirty (30) pounds during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Copper Overseas Service Company ("COSCO") promotes a drug/ alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable Company Standards
COSCO has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs include tasks or duties that could affect the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Positions within COSCO which are held by employees who receive Safety Training; or
- Positions within COSCO which are held by employees who operate equipment or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing their COSCO job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel)
Benefits: Begin first day of employment
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
COSCO is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer