Teranga is a Canadian-based gold producer with a pipeline of West African assets in production, development and exploration on more than 5,000 square kilometers of land located on prospective gold belts. Our vision is to become a multi-jurisdictional West African gold producer with a portfolio of assets offering diversified production with strong margins and sustainable free cash flows.
The Teranga team has extensive experience in exploring, developing and operating successful mines globally. With our focus on growth, we offer exciting and rewarding career opportunities.
Summary of Role
This is a two-year fly-in/ fly-out contract in Senegal: 8 weeks on / 4 weeks off roster with travel in company time or 6/3 roster with travel on employee's time.
As the Senior Management Accountant reporting to the Site Controller, you will be a member of the management team within our Finance Department at our mine site in Senegal.
The Site Finance Department focuses on the accurate and timely generation of management information for all departments on site. Management information includes the generation of operating cost variance reports, capital expenditure reports that are reviewed via cost review meetings conducted on a monthly basis as well as various ad hoc expenditure analysis of operating and capital cost. The Department coordinates and consolidates the annual operating cost and capital expenditure budgeting process as well as the subsequent quarterly forecasting of operating and capital expenditure. The Department interacts and provides feedback to the corporate office during the preparation of quarterly operating and expenditure reporting, budgeting and forecasts.
Management & Supervision
· Coordinate activities of the management accounting team for the preparation of the periodical management information.
· Plan and coordinate the availability of resources required to complete critical monthly, quarterly and annual forecasting and reporting (rosters etc.).
· Plan and coordinate the preparation of the annual budget process to achieve milestones.
· Align objectives of the management accounting with the Administration department and site objectives.
· Assist Project Leaders with the financial evaluation and motivation of capital expenditure applications (NPV,IRR)
· Coordinate the approval process for capital expenditure projects between site and Corporate.
· Ensure the generation of timely and accurate actual vs budget cost variance reports and monthly cost review meetings with departmental heads.
· Produce quality reports that highlight problem high cost areas that require senior management’s urgent attention.
· Encourage regular feedback from Heads of Department to improve cost variance and efficiency reporting.
· Implement and generate mining equipment performance reports and investigate deviations from fleet averages.
· Compile quarterly forecast of revenue, operating cost and capital expenditure for presentation to Corporate.
· Ensure that capital expenditure statements are generated on a monthly basis and liaise with project leaders to address projected overruns on estimated project expenditure.
· Compile narratives for quarterly reporting to Corporate.
· Ensure that sound internal controls are maintained through the following:
· Proper segregation of duties (employee roster management)
· Frequent review of account reconciliations
· Effective EFT and cheque signatory controls
· Ensure that internal control register is updated on a continuous basis
· Review and respond to internal control audit reports
· Implement remedial action required to rectify inadequate internal controls identified.
· Identification and motivation of candidates for the department’s succession planning program.
· Mentor, train and coach members of the department to enhance overall team skills development.
· Conduct regular audits of fixed assets.
Ad hoc duties
· Participate in ad hoc projects and initiatives.
Required Skills and Experience
· University Diploma or equivalent degree qualification in Finance or Accounting discipline
· A recognized accounting designation
· Minimum 15 years’ relevant experience with at least 3 years’ experience for an audit company or mining company and 2 years' experience working as an expatriate
· Demonstrated people management experience including ability to coach and mentor team members of diverse backgrounds
· Strong collaboration and relationship building skills
· Good documentation and presentation skills
· Excellent leadership and management skills with proven ability to motivate and empower team.
· Must possess strong cultural sensitivity and be able to execute work successfully in a different culture
· Excellent analytical, organizational, communication and problem solving skills
· Strong communication skills in English (French is an asset) to effectively interact with employees and government officials
Since its 2010 IPO, Teranga has produced over 1.2 million ounces of gold from its operating gold mine in Senegal. The Company is currently completing an updated feasibility study for the fully permitted Banfora Gold project in Burkina Faso, with expected completion mid-2017. In 2016, Teranga acquired exploration permits in Ivory Coast. The Company believes these properties – and potential future mining rights that may be acquired – will provide a further pipeline of future growth opportunities.
Concurrent with production and development activities, exploration programs are underway at its most prospective properties to increase its reserve base through resource conversion and new discoveries. Furthermore, the Company has a solid balance sheet and a strong social license to continue to grow its business.
If you are experiencing difficulties applying, please submit your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org