Teranga is a Canadian-based gold producer with a pipeline of West African assets in production, development and exploration on more than 5,000 square kilometers of land located on prospective gold belts. Our vision is to become a multi-jurisdictional West African gold producer with a portfolio of assets offering diversified production with strong margins and sustainable free cash flows.
Since its 2010 IPO, Teranga has produced over 1.2 million ounces of gold from its operating gold mine in Senegal. The Company is currently completing an updated feasibility study for the fully permitted Banfora Gold project in Burkina Faso, with expected completion mid-2017. In 2016, Teranga acquired exploration permits in Ivory Coast. The Company believes these properties – and potential future mining rights that may be acquired – will provide a further pipeline of future growth opportunities.
Concurrent with production and development activities, exploration programs are underway at its most prospective properties to increase its reserve base through resource conversion and new discoveries. Furthermore, the Company has a solid balance sheet and a strong social license to continue to grow its business.
The Teranga team has extensive experience in exploring, developing and operating successful mines globally. With our focus on growth, we offer exciting and rewarding career opportunities.
This is a one-year contract role based in Brisbane and Burkina Faso.
Summary of Role
The Project Cost Accountant dedicated to the construction of our new mine in Burkina Faso is the focal point within the Owners Management Team (OMT) for ensuring maintenance and reporting of committed, accrued and invoiced costs to complete against project budgets in an accurate and timely manner. The main objectives of the role are:
• Ensuring that the Teranga Owners Management Team and internal customers are given the highest service level obtainable making the most efficient use of the resources.
• Having a proactive attitude and response to project cost management and assisting the Project Manager in managing budgeting and accounting requirements of the project.
• Adhering to project specific and company procedures, systems and protocols required to work efficiently and maintaining a consistent approach and high standard of work.
• Coordinating, developing and training junior staff in the project and site team.
• Input control budget at commencement of project.
• Integrate Project Controls and workflows into the group ERP system – Pronto.
• Generate and process invoice approval certificates and maintain relevant registers in accordance with applicable procedures.
• Preparation and transmittal of cash calls and payments runs in accordance with project specific procedures.
• Produce weekly and end of month reports for nominated Projects.
• Prepare Vendor account reconciliations, when requested.
• Maintain and control a bank guarantee and/or retention registers for each Project.
• Coordinate with OMT personnel, consultants and vendors to resolve invoice / payment queries.
• Process invoices within required timeframes.
• Ensure purchase orders in Ponto (ERP) are frequently reviewed and closed on completion.
• Inform vendors of invoice payment due dates, as information is made available.
• Inform OMT of deviations in expenditure and trends occurring in project costs.
• Ensure a complete project close out is carried out including the finalization of the asset register and all reports, accounts and files are formally handed over to the Corporate Finance Team.
• Assist in the development and implementation of policies and procedures, and ensure that they are complied with.
• Provide data and analysis into the budgeted costs for projects and ensure resources are managed against the budgets.
• Assist with duties as delegated by the Director, Business Analysis or OMT Commercial Manager.
• Provide any financial information requested for external reporting on a timely basis (i.e. commitment, accrual, forecast cost).
• Must perform all dealings with OMT, vendors and Teranga team professionally, ethically and efficiently to ensure the highest possible service levels.
• Responsible for continuous improvement through productivity monitoring enabling the identification of processes and procedures that can be modified to increase efficiency within the cost control functions.
Required Skills & Experience
• Must hold qualifications in an Accounting discipline, or equivalent work experience (10 years minimum).
• Previous detailed experience in construction-related cost control / project accounting.
• Knowledge of computerized accounting cost control systems and their operations and applications.
• Exposure to international and local accounting practices.
• Advanced skills in Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel.
• Analytical and problem solving skills.
• Initiative, self-motivation and the ability to work without supervision.
• High degree of professional ethics.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills. French language skills considered an asset.
• Experience in the development and use of Pronto or similar ERP a significant advantage.
• Knowledge and experience in establishing and developing a cost control reporting system across a multi-user / multi-site framework.
• Travel to Burkina Faso at the later stages of the contract is required, therefore flexibility to travel is required.