Teranga is a Canadian-based gold producer with a pipeline of West African assets in production, development and exploration on more than 5,000 square kilometers of land located on prospective gold belts. Our vision is to become a multi-jurisdictional West African gold producer with a portfolio of assets offering diversified production with strong margins and sustainable free cash flows.
Since its 2010 IPO, Teranga has produced over 1.2 million ounces of gold from its operating gold mine in Senegal. The Company is currently completing an updated feasibility study for the fully permitted Banfora Gold project in Burkina Faso, with expected completion mid-2017. In 2016, Teranga acquired exploration permits in Ivory Coast. The Company believes these properties – and potential future mining rights that may be acquired – will provide a further pipeline of future growth opportunities.
Concurrent with production and development activities, exploration programs are underway at its most prospective properties to increase its reserve base through resource conversion and new discoveries. Furthermore, the Company has a solid balance sheet and a strong social license to continue to grow its business.
The Teranga team has extensive experience in exploring, developing and operating successful mines globally. With our focus on growth, we offer exciting and rewarding career opportunities.
Summary of Role
This is a two-year FIFO contract based at our Sabodala Gold Operations in Senegal: 8 weeks on/4 weeks off roster with travel on company time.
Reporting directly to the Mine Manager, the Mine Superintendent is responsible for the supervision of all mining operations and production-related activities, while ensuring the safety and environmental stewardship of the department.
• Organize and supervise the mining resources and activities to meet the agreed schedule.
• Ensure appropriate levels of supervision for all mine operations as a prime focus including shift start-up, locating and controlling personnel and machinery.
• Participate in short and medium term mine planning and scheduling process to confirm the schedule requirements.
• Ensure monitoring and maintenance of haul routes to ensure an efficient operation.
• Ensure the monitoring and corrective action taken of pit floor standards and waste dump levels.
• Ensure monitoring of pit wall angles and batter cleaning.
• Ensure all aspects of the operation are carried out in a safe and efficient manner and in accordance with statutory obligations.
• Keep necessary records of all aspects of the operation including tonnes moved, equipment hours, shift reports, check sheets etc.
• Ensure statutory responsibilities for pit operations (including conduct of regular inspections etc.)
• Carry out duties of managing Mine Production staff and equipment in the most cost effective manner possible to deliver required tonnes and grade.
• Set budgets for the Production department, monitor and controls costs within agreed limits.
• Plan work on a weekly, monthly and quarterly time-frame to respond to variations in operational conditions and requirements (e.g., short term schedule changes, introduction of new ore from other sources)
• Monitor daily production in order to achieve the weekly and monthly plan.
• Develop and encourage a team approach with shared objectives within the mining production operating team, maintenance, survey and geology and major contractors.
• Review and communicate both individual and team performance in daily, weekly, monthly team meetings.
Policy, Procedure and Process Development
• Set specific policy and procedures for the mining production process.
• Recommend improvements to the process that my lead to a safer, more productive operation with better recovery.
Reports, Procedure and Process Development
• Carry out activities for monitoring of mining production process measures and log sheets, reporting to track process performance and incidents
• Develop and implement specific measures for various mining production activities relating to drill and blast, load, haul and dump performance.
Innovation and Improvement
• Identify, investigate and implement improvements to the operating performance of the mining process, particularly those areas which are directly under mining production control, e.g. load and haul.
Required Skills and Experience
• Minimum 10 years’ experience in a hard rock open pit mining environment, in progressively responsible positions
• Previous experience as a General Foreman or equivalent position highly desirable
• Operating surface mining equipment or heavy construction equipment experience highly desirable
• Working knowledge of surface mine production operations
• Demonstrated experience working with, coaching and mentoring employees with diverse backgrounds
• Basic working knowledge of a computer and spreadsheet programs is desirable
• Excellent analytical, management, organizational, communication and problem solving skills
• Strong communication skills, ability to speak and write in English (French is an asset)
• Demonstrate the ability to meet deadlines, work with minimum supervision
• Strong cultural sensitivity and appreciation for Senegalese culture
If you are encountering difficulties applying, please send your CV to email@example.com