Provides analytical and project management support for various Operations Strategy programs and projects, from evaluations of external opportunities, to high-priority individual site support and optimization projects. Contributes to each project by combining experience and acquired business judgment, with financial and other analysis, the development and delivery of senior-level communications materials, collaborative project management, and other diagnostic and support tools.
The position will report to the Senior Manager Technical Evaluations.
1. Provides analytical and project management support for various Operations Strategy programs and projects, from evaluations of external opportunities, to high-priority individual site support and optimization projects, by doing the following:
- Generally speaking, supports Kinross and its sites and projects in making their most strategic decisions, through analysis, modelling and impactful communication.
- Conducts financial evaluations of external opportunities in support of due diligence reviews.
- With moderate guidance, performs error-free and insightful analysis, financial or otherwise, that supports site, or Corporate projects.
- Applies understanding of key business drivers within our area to build and maintain financial models, which will often support multi-million dollar decisions (if not 10s or 100s-of-millions of dollars). Pressure-tests others’ models and analysis.
- Support broader corporate global programs outside of own area, such as Working Capital, the Kinross Way for Supply Chain and Maintenance, Achieving Excellence etc. This includes the development of key reporting tools, supporting site action plans, etc.
- Support Project Studies at various phases of development from desk top through to Feasibility, providing analytical and financial modelling support, reviews of key drivers and inputs, performing tradeoff studies, etc.
- Based on experience, contributes technical advice and insights to projects. Makes decisions within procedures and guidelines in standard situations.
- Explains and presents complex information in a straightforward way, by developing and delivering communications materials for sites and senior executives, up to the CTO, COO and SLT level.
- Supports the analysis and preparation of communication materials for AFEs, Strategic Business Cases, and the Strategic Business Planning process in general.
- Assist with non-standard requests for support and identify solutions to such requests.
2. Other, general support as required:
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience.
- Manages the flow of information between the sites; drives and facilitates discussions around best practices
- Uses developing knowledge of Kinross operations to support sites, pressure-test business models, etc.
- Analyzes and interprets data (e.g. operating and technical metrics like: tons hauled; equipment efficiency; mining costs; ore body grade)
- Assists in identifying cost savings opportunities and building full potential cost models.
- Responds to a variety of internal and / or external requests, many of which will not be standard and will require advanced problem-solving approaches.
- Prepares straightforward communication materials, manuals, and other written materials related to evaluations, technical issues, programs, or systems
- Actively seeks mentorship and learning to improve product or technical knowledge and skill set
- Performs analysis and coordination on due diligences for Mergers and Acquisitions. Potentially assist with merger integration.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science, accounting or finance or a similarly quantitative/analytical field.
- Expert level skills in Excel: ability to build financial models, and to perform analysis to pinpoint opportunities for improvement; experience in financial modeling
- Proficiency with Powerpoint
- One or more years of experience in the mining industry, preferably with experience in a project/operations environment (corporate or site-level), and/or one or more years of experience with exposure to strategic and financial modeling in an asset-intensive industry (preferably mining)
- Working knowledge of a second language an asset, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Russian or Arabic
- Operations and strategy analysis experience including developing and analyzing models (e.g., financial and full potential models etc.)
- Understanding of mining concepts and financial statements
- Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skills set (e.g., Logistical Regression, modeling, statistically literate etc.)
- Ability to interact effectively with Senior Management
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
- Previous experience in the mining industry is strongly preferred
- Ability to learn quickly
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Flexibility in a fast-paced environment; ability to handle significant variation in workload
- Well organized, works well independently and in team settings
- Possesses good time management skills, and is able to work effectively under pressure
- Ability to function within the following travel requirements: frequent travel to remote mine sites in Mauritania, Ghana, Chile, Brazil, Nevada, Washington State, Alaska and Far East Russia. The expectation is that the role may require up to 2 weeks of travel out of every 4 weeks, although travel may be more condensed in certain periods, less in others.
Directions for Applying
Resumes must be submitted with no names as we will be undertaking a blind resume review for this role. When creating your profile, please include your name.
The closing date for this role is December 8 2017 at 11:59pm EST