The Kinross Corporate Head Office is located in downtown Toronto and supports Kinross operations and projects worldwide. Corporate functions include Finance, Procurement, Health & Safety, Human Resources, IT and Investor Relations.
Ensures the ongoing competitiveness and effectiveness of compensation programs in meeting the needs of assigned business groups / regions, and manages reward programs and processes for these groups. Partners with local HR teams to understand the needs and challenges of the business and to identify and implement appropriate compensation strategies to support these. Works with the Global Leads (Compensation, Equity, Benefits) to leverage information and resources for business, and provides feedback to Global Leads on needs of the business.
- Provides oversight of local Rewards programs:
- Manages the ongoing administration of rewards programs for South America (professionals and above) and Expats, including completing job evaluations, leveraging global role profiles, completing compensation recommendations for new hires / promotions / retention, overseeing and administering project completion and other bonus programs, communicating and overseeing equity incentive programs, etc.
- Aligns local compensation structures to the local market and to support business needs, including completing an annual review of target compensation levels (salary structure, Short-term incentive (STI) targets, Long-term incentive (LTI) targets, etc.), while working within Kinross’ global frameworks, Reviews total compensation (including other cash, pension and benefits) relative to the market on an as-needed basis, identifies opportunities and makes recommendations.
- Manages the annual compensation review (merit increases, STI and LTI recommendations) for South America and Expats, serving as a central point of information and support to the local HR teams for communication, training, guidance and support. Provides required reporting to local HR and global Compensation Lead. Ensures the planning process is completed in harmony with global guidelines and philosophy, and meeting all deadlines. Completes system testing, delivers training (to HR and / or managers as needed), reviews data quality, etc. to ensure a high quality end product and a smooth process for HR and managers. Provides feedback to the global TR leads and makes recommendations to ensure the annual process meets local needs.
- Provides support in South America to local Operator / Skilled Trade compensation programs as requested. Prepare materials to support union negotiations as requested.
- Stays current on local compensation trends and legislative requirements. Makes recommendations as needed.
- Provides input to the annual budgeting process to support rewards programs.
- Partners with local HR and the business:
- Builds and maintains relationships with local HR. Builds a strong understanding of the local business challenges and direction. Ensures alignment of compensation practices to the local needs.
- Supports local HR in addressing various people matters with compensation strategies where appropriate – e.g. for retention, development, incentives, etc. Provides creative solutions and insights, and helps to integrate compensation into a broader, strategic HR solution.
- Sources market data and completes specific market analysis or internal equity analysis as needed to address concerns. Leads and/or participates in projects relating to rewards programs (compensation or benefits) as needed.
- Assists local HR in addressing questions and concerns from employees and managers regarding total rewards programs. Provides training and communication materials to local HR, adapting global tools and / or developing new ones as required to meet local needs. Helps build the skills and knowledge of local HR teams regarding total rewards programs.
- Gathers feedback and input from local HR and/or business leaders relating to global rewards tools, processes and programs, and works with Global Leads to address any concerns, or adapt tools, processes and/or programs as appropriate.
- As needed, assists with annual budget and/or strategic business planning process to ensure that compensation is appropriate planned.
- Supports global Total Rewards team:
- Works closely with Global Leads and the global total rewards team to share best practices and ideas, and continue to enhance the skills, effectiveness and reputation of the global team.
- Educates Global Leads on local business challenges, legislative requirements / limitations, culture, etc.
- Participates in global rewards projects, including the annual compensation review, executive compensation, M&A, diversity, HR analytics and reporting, etc.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Labour/Industrial Relations, Business Administration, Finance, or another related area of expertise
- CHRP or CCP certification preferred
- 5+ years in compensation; experience with compensation outside North America preferred; experience with expatriate management an asset
- Previous experience in the mining industry preferred
- Knowledge of pension and benefits and/or executive compensation preferred
- Experience partnering with HR / business management on compensation matters
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management
- Excellent relationship management skills
- Strong project management experience
- Creative problem-solving skills, good business sense, able to develop solutions or adapt programs to support the business
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment, and comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Sense of urgency and ability to deliver accurately to tight deadlines
- Able to work at a detailed level to complete or review analysis and develop recommendations, but also look at the big picture
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills, and a strong attention to detail
- Comfortable working with systems; excellent Excel skills
- Good knowledge of applicable labour / employment law
- Knowledge of Spanish or Portuguese preferred
- Some global travel required
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.