Under limited supervision, plans, organizes, manages and evaluates assigned operations, including but not limited to: daily production, product quality, environmental management, safety, or maintenance.
- Establishes tactical and strategic goals, objectives, policies and procedures.
- Directs Supervisors and other staff in daily operations. Inspects daily operations and projects in progress and upon completion to assure quality of work. Provides administrative and technical direction to staff; interprets policies and procedures established by regulatory agencies.
- Oversees and recommends the selection of key staff. Participates in the selection of staff.
- Works with employees to correct deficiencies. Implements disciplinary procedures and recommends terminations. Investigates complaints and recommends corrective action as necessary.
- Forecasts necessary funds for staffing, materials and supplies, and capital improvement projects. Submits budget recommendations and justifications; monitors and controls expenditures.
- Develops, plans, and coordinates the work plan for assigned projects and responsibilities, which may include project management, cost estimates and program development. Coordinates work with other units and site departments.
- Provides information and resources to site officials and other departments.
- Reviews Capital Improvement Plans and makes recommendations. Evaluates infrastructure, facilities and operating systems for needed maintenance and repair.
- Answer questions and provide information to the public.
- Coordinates the activities of consultants and contractors.
- Performs other duties as required.
High School diploma or GED and seven (7) years of related operational experience, including supervisory or management experience, OR
Bachelor's degree and three (3) years of related operational experience, including supervisory or management experience
- Additional certifications or licensure appropriate to the job may be required
- Skilled in supervising, evaluating, training and motivating employees
- Ability to plan, prioritize, direct and manage a diverse number of operational areas, projects and activities
- Skilled in preparing, defending, monitoring and administering budgets
- Ability to develop and maintain awareness of occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Skilled in following safety practices and recognizing hazards
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Degree in Mining, Engineering or related field
- Previous mining experience
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is in a mine or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see.
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects (up to 30 pounds) during the course of the workday.
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, or manufacturing plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required.
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable State Laws.
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of company business or while on company travel); or
Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability
Nearest Major CitySafford
JobSuperintendent Mine - Morenci, AZ
Primary LocationUnited StatesArizonaMorenci