Under the direction of the Chief Geologist, the person will be responsible for geologic mapping and assisting the geotechnical staff as well as the geological resource QP. The person should possess the skills of a “well rounded” mine geologist while continuously aligning daily functions to reflect Kinross’ values.
- Geologic pit mapping.
- Geotechnical cell mapping.
- Slope monitoring.
- Work with the mine planning group.
- Work with the blasting group.
- Work with the geotechnical engineers.
- Direct involvement with the mine department.
- Performs work assignments in a timely manner.
- Must possess a professional attitude towards responsibilities.
- Must be able to work with little or no supervision; must be able to work well with others.
- Represents the company with drilling and other contractors.
- Must be able to work in a safe manner and adhere to RMGC safety standards.
- Compliance with all company policies and procedures including, but not limited to safety, environmental, confidentiality and code of conduct.
- Meets or exceeds established performance expectations set by management.
- Consistently exercises discretion and judgment in job performance.
- Works without risk or harm to self and others.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by state agency, or must be able to pass driver competency course and exam.
- Punctuality and regular attendance required.
- Helps develop other department personnel to perform duties listed above.
- Perform other related functions as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications & Skill Requirements
- Possesses good communication and interpersonal skills.
- General understanding of mining operations, as well as limited understanding of milling and maintenance operations.
- Working knowledge and skill with P.C. utilizing work processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software.
- Strong verbal, written, analytical and persuasive skills and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Ability to work independently and also as a member of the management team.
- Demonstrates strong administrative, organizational and technical writing skills
- Strong technical skills in geology.
- Experience in the use of geotechnical programs.
- Good understanding of volcanic rocks.
- Strong geologic, geotechnical and structural mapping skills.
- Should be skilled in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Access and AutoCad (or equivalent.
- Must have a good knowledge and be able to use mining software, preferably Vulcan.
- Bachelor’s degree in geologic or related sciences is required.
- Minimum of 5 years’ mine experience in geologic and geotechnical mapping.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in the field of geology with an emphasis on volcanic environments.
- An understanding of geologic resource modeling is beneficial.
- Ability to prioritize work in a team-oriented environment.
- Must be an “out of the box” thinker.
- Must be 18 years old and presently authorized to work in the United States on a full time basis.
- Requires valid driver’s license.
• Serves as a senior resource to geologists and other support or technical work unit
• Reports into the Chief Geologist
Health, Safety, & Environmental Requirements
- Adheres to all safety and environmental considerations.
- Have a strong commitment to safe working practices.
- Wears Personal Protective Equipment at all times while in the production environment.
- Is alert and observes, corrects, and reports unsafe conditions.
- Follows operating procedures and complies with all regulatory requirements.
Kinross Leadership Practices
- Creates an environment where nothing is more important than every employee returning home safe and healthy every day.
- Creates an environment in which people are unfailingly treated with respect.
- Fosters the talent and potential of all employees by enabling them to grow, develop, and make a difference in the organization.
- Demonstrates that leadership in the areas of environmental performance and community and stakeholder relations is fundamental to the way we plan and manage our business.
- Holds self and others accountable for the decisions, commitments, and behaviors required to deliver outstanding results.
- Uses judgment to manage business complexities, prioritize and balance conflicting demands to make timely decisions that best advance Kinross strategy.
- Builds and brings teams and people together to achieve organizational goals. Models humility by going beyond self-interest for the good of the group.
- Understands the economic implications of decisions and consistently uses all resources effectively and efficiently to maximize shareholder value.
- Relentlessly champions, develops and embeds best practices.
- Strategic Effectiveness
- Developing and communicating rigorous and creative business strategies that drive sustainable value.
- External Engagement
- Understanding and building relationships with external parties that strengthen and sustain competitive advantage.
- Business Focus
- Applying commercial rigor and discipline to all business decisions and customer relationships.
- Living the Kinross Values
- Aligning behavior, decisions, and actions with Kinross values and principles.