Leads the execution of strategy for the mill and dump leach operations, and ensures alignment with the organization’s overall strategy. Maximizes operational efficiency and profitability of the mills and dump leach. Leads the operation in an efficient manner consistent with health, safety and environmental standards to achieve production and operating cost goals.
It is critical that the incumbent understand the importance of, and is able to efficiently and effectively transfer knowledge to the local Mauritanian staff. The incumbent will also be accountable to ensure that rigorous performance management is implemented as well as succession and development plans are in place with the aim of attaining Kinross Mauritanisation objectives.
This role reports to the Tasiast Operations Director and leads a team of expatriates and national superintendents, supervisors and other staff.
- Participates with Operations Director and other senior staff to set production goals and policy for the mine. Directs the activities of the treatment staff to achieve production goals. Sets performance targets and measures accordingly.
- Manages the activities of the processing team’s contribution for the Tasiast Phase 2 expansion project.
- Prepares annual operating plans and budgets, as well as monthly forecasts for the mill. Maintains costs by controlling labor, power, and supplies while achieving production targets.
- Develops systems and measures that appropriately assess mill and dump leach operations performance to ensure goal achievement.
- Produces monthly reports for the mill department.
- Directs the metallurgical accounting and testing activities through the Chief Metallurgist to achieve optimum efficiency in the mill.
- Directs the activities of the assay lab through the Chief Chemist and Chief Metallurgist to accomplish the goal of timely and accurate completion of assays and other required testing within budgeted costs.
- Performs personnel administration functions including hiring employees, conducting performance reviews, administering disciplinary action, and directing career development of subordinates in conjunction with the Human Resources Department.
- Complies with and implements all company policies and procedures.
- Assures compliance with health, safety, and environmental standards pertaining to mill and dump leach operations by conducting frequent inspections of the facility.
- Directs the Mill Superintendent and Mill CI Coordinator in coordinating operations and maintenance in the mill, including scheduling shutdowns for major work, establishing priorities, monitoring, preventative maintenance and assuring that areas are ready for production and maintenance as scheduled.
- Acts as a change agent and project sponsor to drive key initiatives; models the Kinross values, and prioritizes business goals.
- Actively supports and encourages an atmosphere of continuous improvement within the organization, and drives operational and efficiency improvements ideas.
- Actively develops direct reports and helps overcome barriers.
- Builds the capabilities of the team to enhance the operations ability to achieve the financial and operating strategy; identifies role succession requirements and develops “high potential” talent.
- Develops an evergreen succession plan for the organization.
- Leads and manages a senior team of superintendents, chiefs and other mill staff.
- The Process Manager also has the Process Plant and Dump Leach Maintenance responsibility.
- Performs other functions as assigned by supervisor.
Education and Experience
BS degree in Metallurgical or Chemical engineering, or equivalent work experience.
Additional specialized education, including a masters level degree is preferred.
Formal professional designation in the area of expertise is preferred.
A minimum of 15 years related work experience, with at least 5 years in precious metals.
Previous leadership experience within the mining industry.
Experience in Plant Operations with increasing levels of responsibility is preferred.
Previous expat experience working in challenging locations is preferred.
General knowledge of mining and the integration of the mining, milling, and maintenance functions.
Detailed knowledge of all phases of gold processing including grinding and agitated leaching with cyanide, carbon absorption and regeneration, and refining.
Knowledge and experience developing policies and procedures for the organization.
Good working knowledge and skills with a P.C. utilizing MS Office.
Able to work independently, as well be an effective member of the management team.
Strong verbal, written, analytical and persuasive skills and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management is critical and required for the successful candidate.
Ability to speak in English is mandatory. Ability to speak French is an asset