PTFI’s Grasberg operations consist of a number of world-class mines that are targeted to produce some 240,000 tons of copper ore daily. These include the Grasberg Open Pit, DOZ panel cave, and the Big Gossan open stope mine. Equally important are the mines under development and study. Development is well advanced at the GBC panel cave mine and the DMLZ panel cave mine and studies are being initiated for the Kucing Liar panel cave mine. Current mine plans call for the Grasberg pit to be complete at the end of 2018 at which time production will solely be from underground mines with production ramping up to some 240,000tpd by the middle of the next decade as GBC and DMLZ panel caves are brought on line. The approximate CAPEX is in excess of $10b and when at full capacity Grasberg operations will be one of the largest underground operations in the world; delivering the future of PTFI.
The Underground Geotechnical Group has a major role in the successful transition to underground era; ensuring that the underground operations are geotechnically reliable; the global and local support systems provide a safe working environment; and the caves are monitored and managed to provide the expected revenue stream. The work carried out by the group includes rock mass characterization, support design, ground control, hydrology, QA/QC of support systems, monitoring of ground and cave behavior and evaluation/prediction of cave performance.
Provide comprehensive and in-depth technical expertise to all activities of Underground (UG) Geo Services i.e. UG Geology, UG Geotechnical and Hydrology and Quality Control QAQC groups to ensure targets and objectives are achieved in a safe, effective and efficient manner according to company guidelines and legal requirements. Support activities related to strategic long term planning for UG Geo Services.
1. Provide expert advice to the department associated with strategic geomechanical planning to ensure UG Geo Services is fiscally responsible as well as guiding future budget preparation.
2. Provide recommendation for reliable and achievable short-range to long-range mine plans in support of UG Geo Services technical activities which will meet all production performance targets.
3. Provide technical expertise and participate in the development and implementation of senior staff professional development plans for UG Geo Services, and provide development by formal OJT (on the job training), assist integration within department technical activities, set a leadership and counterpart program for UG Geo Services to enhance personnel knowledge and skill capability.
4. Liaise with all groups activities within UG Geo Services departments and other divisions (e.g., Operation, Engineering), to ensure that short-range and long-range plan have the same vision and tactical implementation, in order to achieve all production targets.
5. Ensure all technical activities within department are conducted safely by monitoring, regular safety talks, and direct inspections.
6. Evaluate consultant’s reports and ensure that recommendations are properly communicated to related parties, agreed on, and implemented to ensure that long-term production objectives are achieved.
7. Present technical issues as a Technical Expert to other departments and consultants and ensure that technical aspects are understood and effectively implemented.
8. Take part in development of Department's long and short-term goals and measurement standards (including Department Mission, Program and Project Objectives, Personnel Development, Safety, and Environment) in all areas to ensure compliance with company goals so that all involved understand clear directions of the programs.
9. Prepare associated AFE's to ensure cost-effective operations of the department.
10. Communicate goals and progress to relevant parties (e.g. middle and upper management,) to ensure that projects outline and progress is well understood by outside parties.
11. Ensure implementation of geotechnical designs and recommendations at Underground Mines with cooperation of mine operations and engineering.
12. Ensure that geological information is available and used to support all geotechnical designs.
13. Take part in developing effective dewatering plans for underground mines.
14. Manage geotechnical risk at UG mines by developing geotechnical hazard maps and relevant action plans to ensure safe operation.
15. Work with outside consultants to ensure that required service is provided in efficient and effective manner.
16. Ensure that long-term geotechnical projects are coordinated with corporate geotechnical group, engineering, planning and consultants.
17. Ensure continuous professional development of national engineers through training and introduction of state of art geotechnical knowledge.