Bald Mountain is an open-pit mine with a large estimated mineral resource base located in Nevada. It is the newest mine in Kinross’ portfolio and was acquired in January 2016.
Under the direction of the Capital Projects Superintendent, this position functions at a senior level and is an integral part of a high-level multi-disciplinary team focusing on the development and execution of strategic projects at the Bald Mountain mine site while continuously aligning daily functions to reflect Kinross’ values.
- Assist the Capital Project Superintendent in the evaluation and development of capital projects at the site, access roads, man camp, and area ranches.
- Management of entities outside of Kinross (consultants, engineering firms, and contractors) as well as the area ranch managers/employees.
- Directly supervises mine employees and contractors associated with the capital projects for the site, the access road, the man camp, reclamation, and related activities.
- Coordinate the construction and oversight of capital projects at the site, the area roads and ranches, the man camp, and reclamation requirements.
- Ensure projects are completed on-time, on-budget, and to required standards including the new Kinross Construction Management Manual.
- Initiate, implement, evaluate and modify projects and plans in response to needs.
- Partner with senior management and key stakeholders to deliver systems and programs that ensure Kinross’s four values; Putting People First, Outstanding Corporate Citizenship, High Performance Culture and Rigorous Financial Discipline.
- Ensures practices and resources are in place to realize achievement of the organization’s strategic objectives.
- Assist in other projects associated with the mine, roads, and ranches as identified.
- Works closely with the Projects Specialist to ensure timely processing and oversight of capital related invoices and payments
- Helps develop other department personnel to perform duties listed above.
- Compliance with all company policies and procedures including, but not limited to safety, environmental, confidentiality and code of conduct.
- Meets or exceeds established performance expectations set by management.
- Consistently exercises discretion and judgment in job performance.
- Works without risk or harm to self and others.
- Punctuality and regular attendance required.
- Performs other related functions as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications and Skill Requirements
- 7 - 10 years of experience in mining, construction, project development, or related field.
- 3 – 5 years of experience in a supervisory role managing others
- Experience managing consultants and contractors in the execution of strategic projects while following budget and cost guidelines
- Experience in capital estimation and financial evaluation.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills with the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Proficient computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, presentation, and project management programs.
- Familiarity with AutoCAD preferred.
- In-depth understanding of Kinross and Bald Mountain processes will be an asset.
- In-depth knowledge of mining development and operations.
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly.
- Possesses good communication and interpersonal skills.
- General understanding of mining operations, as well as limited understanding of maintenance operations.
- Strong verbal, written, analytical and persuasive skills and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Ability to work independently and also as a member of the management and projects team.
- Demonstrates strong administrative, organizational and technical writing skills
- Must be 18 years old and presently authorized to work in the United States on a full time basis.
- Requires valid driver’s license.
Health, Safety, and Environmental Requirements
- Adheres to all safety and environmental considerations.
- Have a strong commitment to safe working practices.
- Wears Personal Protective Equipment at all times while in the production environment.
- Is alert and observes, corrects, and reports unsafe conditions.
- Follows operating procedures and complies with all regulatory requirements.
Developing and communicating rigorous and creative business strategies that drive sustainable value.
- External Engagement
Understanding and building relationships with external parties that strengthen and sustain competitive advantage.
- Business Focus
Applying commercial rigor and discipline to all business decisions and customer relationships.
- Living the Kinross Values
Aligning behavior, decisions, and actions with Kinross values and principles.
This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.