Based in Mauritania, Kinross Tasiast is set to become one of the great gold finds of our generation. It is the first mine in a highly prospective greenstone belt, located within an extensive gold system that is largely underexplored.
The Ore Processing Operations Superintendent manages the Operations personnel and equipment of the Processing Department, to ensure all safety and operational targets are met in compliance with all Company standards, guidelines and procedures.
- Ensure all personnel are adequately inducted in their work area and are aware of all workplace rules and critical procedures applying at Tasiast.
- Actively contribute to site safety policy and new initiatives and implement change as directed by the General Manager.
- Regularly review the progress of the Site Safety Committee meetings occurring across the operation.
- Hold weekly safety meetings with team personnel and ensure the agreed action plans are regularly reviewed and outcomes are achieved in a timely manner.
- Actively promote, monitor and enforce compliance of personnel with safe work practices.
- Ensure all incidents are reported and investigated according to policy and statutory requirements.
- Review all incident and accident reports in accordance with Company and statutory requirements.
All employees are responsible for:
- Reporting to the Supervisor, or Health and Safety Representative or OH&S Coordinator immediately any actual or potential unsafe conditions or activities, dangerous occurrences or injury in the work place.
- Assisting new employees in the application of the proper work procedures and practices.
- Working in a manner that will not endanger themselves or any other person.
- Using personal protective clothing or equipment as provided.
- Reporting any defective or damaged personal protective clothing, equipment, or gear, and returning the item to the Supervisor for replacement or repair.
- Complying with instructions given by a Supervisor or OH&S Coordinator pertaining to the use of personal protective clothing, equipment or gear or any matter in relation to health and safety
- Not interfering with anything that has been provided in the interest of health and safety in the workplace.
- Not engaging in any duties that require a certificate or written authorisation unless the relevant certificate or permit is held. Not attempting any task unless they are trained, capable and competent to safely perform the task.
- Ensure environmental impacts are assessed and included in production planning
- Review all environmental incidents in accordance with Company and statutory requirements.
All employees are responsible for:
- Performing functions in an environmentally sustainable manner to achieve statutory compliance (as a minimum objective) while implementing Kinross Group Values.
- Promoting and enforcing environmentally sound work procedures.
- Ensuring that all Contractors adhere to Kinross Environmental Policy and Practices.
- Ensure all members of the team have clearly defined accountabilities, roles and individual development plans. Provide feedback on performance and conduct formal performance reviews.
- Ensure all members of the team receive feedback on their performance and participate in formal performance review processes.
- Develop a succession plan for direct report roles.
- Assist in implementation and management of Kinross graduate development initiatives.
- Ensure the development and maintenance of up to date job procedures, manuals and skill assessment reviews for all tasks performed within the team.
Planning and Scheduling
- Develop strategy for achieving the agreed annual targets of the Operations group and review progress against these plans continually.
- Cascade business objectives through the maintenance team to ensure all activities are focused on agreed outcomes.
- On a monthly basis account for work plan variations and reforecast the annual work plan.
- Identify bottlenecks and use problem solving tools, techniques and business improvement teams to identify business solutions.
- Ensure the regular review of maintenance procedures and investigate, assess and where appropriate, trial new technology.
- Coordinate with the Maintenance dept. to maximise availability and
- Coordinate with the Maintenance dept. to maintain optimal equipment health and comply with Asset Management short and long term maintenance strategy’s
- Ensure direct reports participate in weekly backlog, scheduling and shutdown preparation reviews
- Develop project proposals for approval by the Processing Manager.
- Complete AFE’s for all capital projects.
- Manage the safety, personnel, equipment and materials involved in project execution.
- Regularly report to the Processing Manager on project progress against targets.
- Implement capital projects on time and on budget.
- Develop the annual maintenance budget based on the annual plan.
- Review maintenance costs on a monthly basis and ensure all variances to budget are investigated and explained.
- Identify specific areas for cost improvement and ensure the development and implementation of action plans to achieve these gains.
- Review and monitor all safety, Operational and financial performance indicators and initiate corrective action where necessary.
- Coordinate reporting to the Processing Manager on agreed performance indicators.
- Ensure all statutory reporting requirements are met in relation to safety and environmental incidents within established deadlines.
Education and Experience
• University Degree (Bachelor of Science in related area preferred)
• Additional specialized education of up to 4 years including masters level degree or equivalent
• Formal professional designation in appropriate area of expertise
- Experience managing employees
- 5-8 years of related work experience, including previous equipment maintenance experience in a Gold processing plant environment
- Complete understanding of mine, process and maintenance operations
- Demonstrated experience in a similar Supervisory Role with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a CIL Gold Plant.
- Proficient use of the JDE Maintenance management system.
- Competent in the use of MS Project
- Good skills in spreadsheet and presentation applications, word processing and database applications.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels
- Strong report writing and presentation skills
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.