- Advance your career and be a part of a high performing mining company in Laos
- Drive metallurgical performance and improvements for a large copper-gold concentrator during peak production years
- Live in Laos and enjoy a fabulous expatriate lifestyle or fly in, fly out from your point of hire
This is an exciting time to join PanAust, a copper and gold producer, with operations in Laos and a large pre-development project in Papua New Guinea. PanAust’s producing assets in Laos are the Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation and the Ban Houayxai Gold-Silver Operation, managed by our subsidiary company, Phu Bia Mining. Both of these operations are delivering strong production and cost performance. PanAust holds an 80 per cent interest in the Frieda River Copper-Gold project in Papua New Guinea, one of the largest known undeveloped copper and gold deposits in the world, which will become a long-life open-pit operation. The strategic direction of the Company is to maximise returns from its producing assets while advancing pre-development projects that offer potential to sustain and grow the business in the long term.
Reporting to the Process Manager and leading a multi-cultural technical team, you will work closely with the Process Production Superintendents and mining department to plan optimal utilisation of the plant to deliver targeted throughput and recovery rates. Additionally, you will take an innovative approach to identifying incremental improvements to a high performing plant, specifically addressing the challenges associated with milling and grinding increasingly hardening ore. As second in charge to the Process Manager, you will act in this position as required, providing you with broader exposure to the site management team.
This is an exciting career prospect for an accomplished Metallurgy Superintendent seeking an expatriate role in a dynamic and rewarding work environment.
Your outstanding leadership and coaching skills will be critical to the ongoing development and performance of the relatively inexperienced, but very keen and willing, local Lao workforce. This is an excellent opportunity to really make a difference and see your team grow and develop as a direct result of your efforts.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Developing, maintaining, modifying and improving the metallurgical strategies for the Phu Kham Copper-Gold Concentrator
- Managing metallurgical resources with the aim of maximising throughput and metal recovery whilst maintaining the cost effectiveness of process plant operation, against a range of KPIs
- Managing the metallurgical laboratory for test work and projects for continuous improvement and plant optimisation
- Resolving short to medium term metallurgical issues associated with the operating plant, identifying and implementing continuous improvement projects
- Setting, monitoring and reporting on short term metallurgical parameters and control strategies, including setting addition rates, and controlling and monitoring usage of all mill consumables
- Metallurgical accounting and reconciliation from the SAG mill feed to trucked final concentrate
- Managing the development of budget/forecasting physical and cost models to accurately predict production and operating costs and setting up a system to measure performance against the models
- Reviewing and improving standards and safe operating procedures for all metallurgical tasks (both met lab and field works)
- All aspects of people leadership including recruitment, performance management and training and development
- Interacting closely with PanAust Technical Services Processing Improvement team to develop a consistent approach with respect to continuous improvement and ensure information flow between site and head office is well maintained
To be successful in this role, you will require:
- Degree qualification in Metallurgy or similar discipline is essential
- Extensive operational experience in base metal concentrators
- Strong technical savvy and proven experience in delivering operational improvement projects
- Outstanding leadership and communication skills, with the ability to effectively engage with a range of key internal stakeholders
- Commitment to training and development of Lao staff
- Unwavering safety focus
- A willingness to work in multicultural environment – previous expatriate experience is desirable, but not essential
Laos is a safe, developing country, located in the heart of South East Asia. It is bordered by Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam and China, making it the ideal base for expatriates to explore the region on their breaks. Vientiane, the capital city, offers an attractive lifestyle for expatriate families, with modern housing options and facilities including international schools, an impressive range of restaurants, gyms, day spas, sports clubs and weekend getaways.
PanAust offers experienced mining professionals the opportunity to advance their career by contributing to the development and continuous improvement of the operations, standards, systems and processes that will underpin our future growth. By joining our team, you will play an important role in developing our highly motivated Lao national workforce in line with our commitment to localisation. As an employer who values diversity, we encourage women to apply for all available positions.
We offer an attractive salary package including housing and children’s education allowance, performance bonus, medical and insurance cover. This role is based at our Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation, located approximately 120km north of Vientiane and is offered on an attractive drive in, drive out roster. Transport to and from site is provided by the company, with travel in company time. Our modern mine camp provides a range of Western and Asian food, along with sport and recreational facilities, including football pitch, gym, pool tables and wet mess.
Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation is a conventional open pit mine producing approximately 85,000 tonnes of copper concentrate annually. The process plant, upgraded to a design capacity of 19 million tonnes per annum, comprises a SAG mill and two ball mill grinding circuits, each rated at 13 mega watts, with copper and precious metal recovery by flotation.
Click on Apply Now to be directed to this vacancy on the Pan Aust/Phu Bia careers page. If there is any problem with the link, copy the following: https://career10.successfactors.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=10482&company=PanAust&username
For questions regarding this position or our recruitment process, please contact our recruitment team on +856 (0) 21 268 000.