Bald Mountain is an open-pit mine with a large estimated mineral resource base located in Nevada. It is the newest mine in Kinross’ portfolio and was acquired in January 2016.
Maintain, implement and manage all aspects of geologic data management through efficient use of various geologic databases and systems. Provide guidance for data improvements, historic data validation and GIS data management.
- Development and implementation of standard practices in the capture, maintenance and integrity of all forms of exploration geology data.
- To enhance and maintain quality assurance / quality control protocols and systems for all exploration data.
- To provide guidance to exploration geologists and other database users in the management, visualization and presentation of exploration data.
- Prepares and supervises the preparation of reports as required on the geologic data, models, parameters and technical risks related to exploration inputs to resource and reserve models, engineering studies and regulatory reports.
- Updates and maintains all GIS datasets in an efficient manor, while building and maintaining a GIS database for use by multiple departments and users.
- Performs technical audits, summarizes information and communicates to key leaders.
- Works closely with Technical Services and operating departments in the capture and analysis of geological data.
- Works regularly with GIS to build maps and figures for various reports and presentations.
- Stays current in fields of interest – databases and database management systems, GIS, general IT, web-based services.
- Possesses a positive attitude at all times and good organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Helps develop other department personnel to aid in duties listed above.
- Compliance with all company policies and procedures including, but not limited to safety, environmental, confidentiality and code of conduct.
- Meets or exceeds established performance expectations set by management.
- Consistently exercises discretion and judgment in job performance.
- Works without risk or harm to self and others.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by state agency, or must be able to pass driver competency course and exam.
- Punctuality and regular attendance required.
- Perform other related functions as assigned by supervisor.
Education and Experience
Minimum Qualifications and Skill Requirements
- Bachelor of Science in Geology, Earth Sciences or a related field
- Additional specialized education or experience of up to 4 years in the specialized field of data quality control and geological modelling
- More than 5 years of related work experience in an operational and project envrionment. Additional range of technical and operating experiencce within the mining industry is an asset
- Experience working with teams in the mining industry
- Proficiency with exploration and database software (Vulcan, Leapfrog, AcQuire, ArcGIS, etc.) is desirable and knowledge of SQL
Additional Qualification and Skill Requirments
- Good interpersonal skills required
- Well-developed technical report writing and presentation skills. Very strong communications skills. Team player with a strong inclination towards developing co-operative solutions.
- Must be self-directed and work well in an independent environment and also as a member of the technical team.
Health, Safety, and Environmental Requirements
- Adheres to all safety and environmental considerations
- Have a strong commitment to safe working practices
- Wears Personal Protective Equipment at all times while in the production environment
- Is alert and observes, corrects, and reports unsafe conditions
- Follows operating procedures and complies with all regulatory requirements
Kinross Leadership Practices
- Creates an environment where nothing is more important than every employee returning home safe and healthy every day
- Creates an environment in which people are unfailingly treated with respect
- Fosters the talent and potential of all employees by enabling them to grow, develop, and make a difference in the organization
- Demonstrates that leadership in the areas of environmental performance and community and stakeholder relations is fundamental to the way we plan and manage our business
- Holds self and others accountable for the decisions, commitments, and behaviors required to deliver outstanding results
- Uses judgment to manage business complexities, prioritize and balance conflicting demands to make timely decisions that best advance Kinross strategy
- Builds and brings teams and people together to achieve organizational goals. Models humility by going beyond self-interest for the good of the group
- Understands the economic implications of decisions and consistently uses all resources effectively and efficiently to maximize shareholder value
- Relentlessly champions, develops and embeds best practices
- Strategic Effectiveness
Developing and communicating rigorous and creative business strategies that drive sustainable value
- External engagement
Understanding and building relationships with external parties that strengthen and sustain competitive advantage
- Business Focus
Applying commercial rigor and discipline to all business decisions and customer relationships
- Living the Kinross Values
Aligning behavior, decisions, and actions with Kinross values and principles
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.