- Advance your career and be a part of a high performing mining company in Laos
- Engaging and helping our local contractors to develop their safety standards and best practices to the world class level
- Live in Laos and enjoy a fabulous expatriate lifestyle – attractive drive in, drive out roster from Vientiane Capital
This is an exciting time to join PanAust, a copper and gold producer, with operations in Laos and a large pre-development project in Papua New Guinea. PanAust’s producing assets in Laos are the Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation and the Ban Houayxai Gold-Silver Operation, managed by our subsidiary company, Phu Bia Mining. Both of these operations are delivering strong production and cost performance. PanAust holds an 80 per cent interest in the Frieda River Copper-Gold project in Papua New Guinea, one of the largest known undeveloped copper and gold deposits in the world, which will become a long-life open-pit operation. The strategic direction of the Company is to maximise returns from its producing assets while advancing pre-development projects that offer potential to sustain and grow the business in the long term.
Laos is a safe, developing country, located in the heart of South East Asia. It is bordered by Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam and China, making it the ideal base for expatriates to explore the region on their breaks. Vientiane, the capital city, offers an attractive lifestyle for expatriate families, with modern housing options and facilities including international schools, an impressive range of restaurants, gyms, day spas, sports clubs and weekend getaways.
PanAust offers experienced mining professionals the opportunity to advance their career by contributing to the development and continuous improvement of the operations, standards, systems and processes that will underpin our future growth. As an employer who values diversity, we encourage women to apply for all available positions. By joining our team, you will play an important role in developing our highly motivated Lao national workforce in line with our commitment to localisation.
We offer attractive salary package and excellent rosters for residential employee that includes travel in company time, housing and children’s education allowances. Our modern mine camps provide a range of Western and Asian food and sporting and recreational facilities, including football field, gym, pool tables and wet mess.
This position is primarily based at our Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation, located approximately 120km north of the Lao capital Vientiane; however, as you will provide support to both Phu Kham and our Ban Houayxai Gold-Silver Operation, you will be required to travel between the two sites. Phu Kham is a conventional open pit mine producing approximately 85,000 to 90,000 tonnes of copper in concentrate annually. The process plant, upgraded to a design capacity of 16 million tonnes per annum being operated at 19Mtpa, comprises a SAG mill and two ball mill grinding circuits with copper and precious metals recovery by flotation.
Our Ban Houayxai Gold-Silver Operation is located approximately 120km north of the Lao capital, Vientiane. Ban Houayxai is an open cut mine with a Carbon in Leach (CIL) process plant, with annual production targets of approximately 100,000 oz gold and 780,000 oz silver from processing 4 to 4.5Mtpa of ore.
Reporting to the Safety, Health and Loss Prevention Manager, this is a senior role at site. You will work closely with our contractors to provide effective support, leadership and direction to ensure compliance with the Contractor Health, Safety and Environment Management Standard and all the relevant supporting protocols, procedures and processes.
Your outstanding leadership and coaching skills will be critical to the ongoing development and performance of the relatively inexperienced, but very keen and willing, local Lao workforce. This is an excellent opportunity to really make a difference and see your team grow and develop as a direct result of your efforts.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Ensure contractor compliance with Phu Bia Mining (PBM) Safety Management Systems, standards, procedures and processes
- Ensure compliance with HSE Management Mobilisation/Demobilisation compliance
- Ensure compliance with Contractor Management Plans and Risk Registers
- Ensure compliance with Contractor audit and reporting requirements
- Support PBM contract owners to achieve requirements of PBM standards and procedures
- Support contractors to achieve requirements of PBM standards and procedures
- Provide ICAM lead capability where required
To be successful in this role, you will require:
- Cert IV in Workplace Health & Safety essential, with tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline desirable
- ICAM or similar incident investigation experience is essential
- Previous experience in a mining and/or construction environment in non-English speaking nations
- Proven experience in developing contractors’ safety best practice at Superintendent or equivalent level
- Demonstrated skills in developing and implementing best practice HSE standards
- Track record of delivering safety improvements, with an unwavering commitment to zero harm
- Highly analytical
- Practical, flexible and hands on approach with the ability to work in a small team
- Strong leadership experience and ability to train and coach national staff
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills