Wahgnion, Burkina Faso
Position: Drill Operations Trainer (Expat)
Summary of Role
We are seeking an experienced expatriate for a fly-in fly-out role: 8 weeks on / 4 weeks off roster with travel in company time to our Wahgnion project & new mine site in Burkina Faso.
Teranga is a multi-jurisdictional West African gold company focused on production and development as well as the exploration of more than 5,000 km2 of land located on prospective gold belts. Since its initial public offering in 2010, Teranga has produced more than 1.2 million ounces of gold from its operations in Senegal. Focused on diversification and growth, the Company is constructing its Wahgnion Gold Project in Burkina Faso with production expected in late 2019. Teranga has a strong balance sheet and the financial flexibility to execute on its growth strategy. The Company has nearly 4.0 million ounces of gold reserves from its combined Sabodala Gold operations and Wahgnion Gold Project and is committed to building this reserve with continuing our exploration programs in three countries: Burkina Faso, Senegal and Côte d’Ivoire.
Our Vision, Culture & Values
- We are committed to a culture with a friendly and informal environment; dedicated and empowered people who want rewarding careers and the ability to make good decisions that positively impact the business.
- We are a fast-growing junior miner that offers career opportunities; the work is challenging and exciting with tremendous growth and challenge.
- Health and safety is one of our highest priorities – we have an exceptional record and strive to continuously improve all practices.
- We are committed to social responsibility, to our people, and to supporting and sustaining the local communities.
The Drilling Operations Trainer will provide dedicated training and development support with a focus on technical, functional, and operational support to the Mining Drilling Section (MDS) and other departments where necessary. This includes the following; evaluate, train, and assess drill operators on top hammer and DTH drilling equipment, reduce the number of incidents of property damage through a proactive staff education profile, develop, as may be required, training modules and assessment tools for drill operators.
Maintain training documentation for all drill operators including the GET technicians and develop Wahgnion trainers to global training and assessment standards.
· Collaborate with Training & Development team to drive consistent training and development standards and practices across the operation; conducts all work in accordance with these common standards
· Ensure training data is tracked and properly compiled for all reporting requirements and per required timelines
· Participate in core initiatives and projects as required including development of competency models, training matrices, and individual development plans (IDP).
· Support through communication, reinforcement and role model behaviour other non-technical, core training such as leadership development, business performance training, etc.
· Review and develop training modules and assessments for all drilling equipment in MDS.
o Drill rig operation, inspection, and failure identification
o DTH Hammer rebuilding and fault identification
o GET best practices and failures
o Light Vehicle operation
o Water cart operation and filling of drills
· Demonstrates an in depth understanding of the correct and safe operating of drilling equipment including top hammer, DTH, and rotary drilling; including various support equipment.
· Continually improve the operator training programs to ensure the continuous development of staff.
· Ensure department training data is tracked, available, and properly compiled per reporting requirements including internal department needs.
· Coordinate assessment workshops and continually conduct audits of operator capabilities.
· Demonstrate commitment to safe work practices by example and act immediately on any unsafe acts or situations observed.
· Promote and foster the development of behaviours that make safety an integral part of all work activities.
· Audit and organise issue of all drilling tools such as dipping tapes, spray paint, angle setters etc.
· Assist in development and application of policy and procedures for the MDS production process as it relates to the training and development of employees.
· Recommend improvements to processes that may lead to safer, more productive operation with better recovery.
· Assist Training and Development Coordinator with facilitating external training programs
Required Skills & Experience
· Minimum of fifteen (15) years of experience in a hard rock open pit mining environment, in progressively responsible positions
· Ten (10) years minimum experience as a Drill Trainer Assessor
· Possess a recognised training/assessment qualification ideally at the Certificate 4 level of the AQF
· Excellent knowledge of open cut mining and drilling operations with prior exposure to efficient blasting techniques and design
· Experience operating surface mining drilling equipment (Experience with Sandvik equipment is an asset
· Strong communication skills, ability to speak, read and write in French and English
· Intermediate level skill and knowledge of a computer use including MS Office programs such as Outlook, Word, and Excel
· Strong administrative skills with regards to training and assessment, document management and reporting
· Able to adjust to changing situations and re-prioritise and re-plan training and assessment activities to meet the Mining Production activities
· Cultural sensitivity and ability to work effectively with various groups of people
Click on Apply Now to write your cover letter and forward your application to Teranga Gold.
If you are having difficulties applying, please send your CV to email@example.com