- Advance your career and be a part of a leading mining company in Laos
- Operation going through expansion phase to be a large open pit by world standards
- Your choice of attractive FIFO or in-country residential roster
This is an exciting time to join PanAust and our subsidiary company, Phu Bia Mining in Laos. Our Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation and our Ban Houayxai Gold-Silver Operation in Laos are both delivering strong production and cost performance. In addition, the PanAust Group is progressing well in its Stage 1 Feasibility Study of the Frieda River Copper Project in PNG.
Laos is a safe, developing country, located in the heart of South East Asia. It is bordered by Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam and China, making it the ideal base to explore the region. Vientiane, the capital city, offers an attractive lifestyle for families with modern housing options and facilities including international schools, an impressive range of restaurants, gyms, day spas, sports clubs and weekend getaways.
PanAust offers experienced mining professionals the opportunity to advance their career by contributing to the development and continuous improvement of the operations, standards, systems and processes that will underpin our future growth. As an employer who values diversity, we encourage women to apply for all available positions. By joining our team, you will play an important role in developing our highly motivated Lao national workforce in line with our commitment to localisation.
We offer an attractive salary package and excellent residential or fly in, fly out rosters that includes travel in company time. For residential roster, we offer an attractive salary package including housing and children’s education allowance, performance bonus, medical and insurance cover. Transport to and from site is provided by the company, with travel in company time. Our modern mine camps provide a range of Western and Asian food and sporting and recreational facilities, including football field, gym, pool tables and wet mess.
This position is primarily based at Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation, located approximately 120km north of the Lao capital Vientiane; however, as you will provide support to both Phu Kham and our Ban Houayxai Gold-Silver Operation, you will be required to travel between the two sites. Phu Kham is a conventional open pit mine producing approximately 85,000 to 90,000 tonnes of copper in concentrate annually. The process plant, upgraded to a design capacity of 16 million tonnes per annum being operated at 19Mtpa, comprises a SAG mill and two ball mill grinding circuits with copper and precious metals recovery by flotation.
Our Ban Houayxai Gold-Silver Operation is located approximately 120km north of the Lao capital, Vientiane. Ban Houayxai is an open cut mine with a Carbon in Leach (CIL) process plant, with annual production targets of approximately 100,000 oz gold and 780,000 oz silver from processing 4 to 4.5Mtpa of ore.
Reporting to the Geotechnical & Hydrogeological Superintendent, you will provide leadership and direction across a range of geotechnical areas for the open cut mining operation and infrastructure. As our operation is going through an expansion stage the key responsibility of this role is to ensure that we maintain, establish and develop geoptechnical risk management systems, provide geotechnical advice to mining operations and identify geotechnical hazards that may impact on achieving the mine design and production targets.
Your outstanding leadership and coaching skills will be critical to the ongoing development and performance of the local Lao workforce and expatriate geotechnical engineers in your team. This is an excellent opportunity to really make a difference and see your team grow and develop as a direct result of your efforts.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Ensure the geotechnical team and controlled contractors work safely
- Manage daily geotechnical inspection are being completed and hazards are promptly reported to mining production
- Mornitoring the prism system and check new prisms are installed and work with survey when the system is not operating
- Ensure that geotechnical mapping is being regularly undertaken including updating the Geotechnical model
- Undertake geotechnical slope stability analysis related to short term mine design and planning
- Proactive identification of geotechnical risk by review of the monthly mining forecast
- Provide on the job training for the Lao staff for skills development and time for training courses
To be successful in this role, you will require:
- Bacholor Degree qualifications in Geotechnical Engineering and or Geology
- Proven Geotechnical experience in an open cut mining environment
- Advanced skills in Surpac RocScience Suite, SSR Viewer, IDS guardian Software, GeoMoS & Quikslope
- Exposure to expatriate requirements in a developing country is desirable
- Outstanding leadership and strong communication skills
- Strong commitment to training and supporting the growth of Lao National employees
- Unwavering commitment to safety
- Please click on Apply to be directed to this vacancy on the PanAust careers website and complete your application online.