Provides technical expertise, guidance and leadership in feasibility studies on mining ore properties of porous material. Develop, evaluate and implement optimal aqueous based solutions for the recovery of metals from ores, concentrates, insoluble and recycled or residual materials.
- Serve as technical expert on complex hydrogeological testing, including hydrometallurgical process and leach modeling using advanced excel and other modeling software.
- Liaison with internal and site clients to define scopes of work, preparing test-work proposals and programs.
- Plan and conduct hydrometallurgy or geometallurgy feasibility programs, tailings geotechnical characterization or mineralogical characterization programs.
- Develop, maintain and implement strategic developments for mineral extraction.
- Lead aqueous based solutions for the recovery of metals; lead feasibility studies towards the process and cost optimization of leach field, mill and tailings facilities
- Develop and design optimal processes and innovative technologies for mineral extraction for site mill, tailings and leaching
- Undertake field investigations, including but not limited to the installation of piezometers, monitoring equipment set-up, organization and implementation of pumping tests and other field investigations.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree in Hydrogeology, Geotechnical, Minerals Processing, Environmental Science, Geoscience or related discipline and five (5) years’ experience in related scientific field. OR
- Master’s degree in Hydrogeology, Geotechnical, Minerals Processing, Environmental Science, Geoscience or related discipline and three (3) years’ experience in related scientific field.
- Experience leading the technical elements for project teams.
- Exceptional analytical, interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to thrive in a diverse team.
- Able to research and analyze information of considerable difficulty and draw valid conclusions.
- Knowledge of the principles and methods used in complex metallurgical and processing analyses.
- Working knowledge of metallurgical and process flow modeling software (METSIM, PI)
- Understanding of sampling theory and experimental statistical analysis/design
- Experience in commissioning processes
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is in a mine or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see.
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects (up to 30 pounds) during the course of the workday.
- Wearing of personal protective equipment may be required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, or manufacturing plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment.
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/ alcohol free work environment using mandatory pre-employment drug testing and ongoing random drug testing, as per applicable State Laws.
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of company business or while on company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability
JobSenior Hydrogeologist - Technology Center - Safford, AZ
Primary LocationUnited StatesArizonaSafford 2 (PTC)