DISCOVER YOUR POTENTIAL. DEVELOP YOUR FUTURE.
GROW WITH PHU BIA MINING.
· Embark on your new expatriate career with a high performing mining company in Laos
· Be the hydrogeological expert for our two open pit mining operations – address surface and groundwater issues in a challenging, high rainfall environment
· Attractive fly in, fly out roster and conditions, modern camp facilities
This is an exciting time to join PanAust, a copper and gold producer, with operations in Laos and a large pre-development project in Papua New Guinea. PanAust’s producing assets in Laos are the Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation and the Ban Houayxai Gold-Silver Operation, managed by our subsidiary company, Phu Bia Mining. Both of these operations are delivering strong production and cost performance. PanAust holds an 80 per cent interest in the Frieda River Copper-Gold project in Papua New Guinea, one of the largest known undeveloped copper and gold deposits in the world, which will become a long-life open-pit operation. The strategic direction of the Company is to maximise returns from its producing assets while advancing pre-development projects that offer potential to sustain and grow the business in the long term.
We are a growing company, offering experienced professionals from the South East Asian region the opportunity to work as an expatriate in Laos, only a short flight from Thailand, the Philippines, China and Indonesia. By joining the Phu Bia Mining team and working in a multi-cultural environment, you will play a key role in the further development of our Lao staff to develop their experience in mining. You will be supported by experienced, senior expatriates who will provide you with further training and development in your discipline. You will be rewarded with a generous salary (including potential tax advantages) and benefits package so that you can build a financial future for you and your family.
We offer many different career opportunities at our mine and exploration sites and in our Vientiane office; and as an employer who values diversity, we encourage women to apply for all available positions. Our modern mine camps provide a range of Asian and Western food, as well as sporting and recreational facilities, including football field, gym, pool tables and wet mess.
This position is based at our Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation, however as you will be providing a service to both our operations, frequent visits to our other site, Ban Houayxai Silver-Gold Operation, will be required. Our operations are located approximately 120km north of the Lao capital, Vientiane. Phu Kham is a conventional open pit mine producing approximately 70,000 tonnes of copper concentrate annually. The process plant, recently upgraded to a design capacity of 16 million tonnes per annum, comprises a SAG mill and two ball mill grinding circuits, each rated at 13 mega watts, with copper and precious metal recovery by flotation.
Reporting to the Geotechnical & Hydrogeological Superintendent, you will act as the hydrogeological expert to tackle the challenges associated with open pit operations in a high rainfall environment. Your key focus will be slope depressurization, and surface water management during wet season. Whilst this is an autonomous role, you will be required to work closely with the geotechnical and mining production teams.
Your key responsibilities will include:
· Develop and maintain groundwater and surface water management plans
· Implement and maintain groundwater model and databases
· Plan and manage horizontal slope depressurisation drilling programs
· Be part of the team to develop and implement a hydrogeochemical model for the final open pit and mine closure study
· Develop and implement groundwater monitoring programs
· Develop water related management controls for mining, procedures and strategies for short to life of mine requirements
· Provide technical expertise to identify, manage and report all water related risks and develop risk mitigation strategies
· Develop improvement projects in relation to surface and groundwater management and report on progress and agreed actions
· Provide technical expertise into PanAust Asia’s existing operations and potential projects
To be successful in this role, you will require:
· Tertiary qualifications in geology, with post-graduate studies in hydrogeology
· Proven experience in mining operations with a focus on groundwater management essential
· Experience in groundwater testing and drilling programs
· Software proficiency in Feflow and Modflow is preferred
· Outstanding problem solving and analytical skills
· Work effectively with the team and has shown initiative towards the job
· Highly adaptable with strong commitment to train and support the growth of Lao National employees
· Unwavering commitment to safety
For questions regarding this position or our recruitment process, please contact our recruitment team on +856 (0) 21 268 000.
Click on Apply Now to be directed to this vacancy on the Phu Bia/Pan Aust Careers website and complete your application.
If any problems with the link, copy the following into your browser: