Under the direct supervision of a Community Development Manager, support the tactical requirements, facilitation and implementation of programs and processes that are part of the Freeport-McMoRan global Corporate Social Responsibility strategy as part of the overarching Sustainable Development program at the assigned site(s). This includes implementation of both thematic, risk centered, portfolio wide or regional efforts as well as site-specific activities that mitigate risk, protect social license to operate and yield a positive benefit to the operation, its employees and the community. Includes but is not limited to project administrative tasks and support for social investment, local contributions, stakeholder engagement, capacity building, program promotion and evaluation, and internal business coordination.
- Employee Engagement – Facilitate the development and growth of the company-wide employee engagement program at the designated site(s), including the planning of volunteer events such as Global Volunteer Month, promotion of company programs such as Employee Matching Gifts and the Annual United Way Campaign, and other employee programs such as STEM Pros, volunteer recognition, etc.
- Stakeholder Engagement – Support the annual stakeholder analysis process, including arranging and/or facilitate meetings, supporting formal engagement processes such as Community Partnership Panels, drafting agendas, documenting meetings, posting notes, etc., and supporting the internal Grievance Management System
- Social Investment – Serve as the primary intake for local donation requests, evaluate and make recommendations to CD manager on a scheduled basis; ensure program materials are up to date and accessible; evaluate grant proposals and help coordinate formal processes such as the Community Investment Funds, including Committee member training, preparation for scoring, interviews and review, etc.
- Internal Business Coordination – Support and participate in the internal SD risk evaluation and management processes, including the development of the Social Risk Register and 5 Year Plan, as well as supporting /participating in interface with other departments/functions needed to manage overlapping risks; assist in maintaining and updating key documents in the process and support the preparation of materials for the social aspect of Assurance
- Capacity-Building – Implement various parts of community capacity building activities at the direction of management, such as grant guidance sessions, nonprofit training, leadership development, etc.; research and benchmark successful economic development, community leadership and other capacity development tools or initiatives; track efforts and provide support or resources where/when needed
- Communication, Special Events and Reporting – Assist in drafting key messages to stakeholders, manage and attend special events on behalf of the operation/company, collect data and conduct quality control assessment for the annual Global Reporting Initiative exercise, and contribute to information and case studies for annual Working Toward Sustainability Report and other related tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Community or Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, Social Work, or related discipline and three (3) years of direct experience in one or more of the following: Community Relations, Philanthropic Giving, Communications, Public Relations or Non-Profit Management or related function/field; OR
- Associate’s degree in Community or Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, Social Work, or related discipline and five (5) years of direct experience in one or more or the following: Community Relations, Philanthropic Giving, Communications, Public Relations or Non-Profit Management or related function/field; OR
- High School diploma or GED and at least seven (7) years of direct experience in one or more of the following: Community Relations, Philanthropic Giving, Communications, Public Relations or Non-Profit Management or related function/field
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work will be primarily performed in a busy, non-smoking office
- Occasionally work may be performed in a mine, outdoor or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs, talk, hear and see
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry up to ten (10) pounds
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable State Laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of company business or while on company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability
JobCommunity Development Specialist - Tyrone, NM
Primary LocationUnited StatesNew MexicoTyrone