Position: Mining Engineer
Summary of Role
This is a 2-year expatriate, fly-in fly-out role: 8 weeks on / 4 weeks off roster with travel in company time to our Sabodala mine site in Senegal.
Teranga is a multi-jurisdictional West African gold company focused on production and development as well as the exploration of more than 6,400 km2 of land located on prospective gold belts. Since its initial public offering in 2010, Teranga has produced more than 1.5 million ounces of gold from its operations in Senegal, which as of June 30, 2018 had a reserve base of 2.5 million ounces of gold. Focused on diversification and growth, the Company is advancing its Wahgnion Gold Project in Burkina Faso towards delivering its second producing gold mine, as well as carrying out exploration programs in three West African countries: Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire and Senegal. The Company has 4.1 million ounces of gold reserves from its combined Sabodala Gold operations and Wahgnion Gold Project as of June 30, 2018. Teranga applies a rigorous capital allocation framework for its investment decisions to execute on its growth strategy relying on a combination of cash on the balance sheet, free cash flow from operations and debt.
The Mine Engineering department is responsible for the planning, scheduling and tracking of all mining activities;
- Preparation and distribution of budgets, forecasts and plans;
- Collection of relevant data; interpretation and analysis of the data and management of data quality;
· Strong input to data interpretation for mine planning and scheduling and operational
· Interdepartmental liaison;
· Periodical reporting;
· Contribute to the delivery of business outcomes by ensuring the timely distribution of
· accurate information to enable management decision making.
Mine Planning and Scheduling
· Responsible for mine planning and scheduling on site using Vulcan and MineSched software to produce practical production schedules to achieve forecast and budgeted targets.
· This includes short (2 weeks) and medium (monthly) term planning and scheduling.
· Delivery and documentation of the plans.
· Responsible to ensure daily production across all the mining activities is captured
· and reported in a timely manner. This also includes validating and checking data
· to ensure its integrity.
· Responsible in collating data for the weekly, monthly and yearly reports.
· Assist in preparing data for generation of forecasts and budgets.
Drill & Blast
· Generate drill and blast designs with the aim to balance the competing needs
between the following:
· Fragmentation and diggability.
· Powder Factor (ie cost).
· Heave and movement of material (ie minimising ore dilution).
· Working with production personnel, blasting contractor and geologists to ensure
· the above is achieved.
· Compiling and interpreting QAQC data to improve drill and blast performance.
· The use of Vulcan mining software to carry out the following as required:
- Pit Design modifications.
- Waste Dump Designs.
- Haul Road Designs.
- Other Infrastructure Designs (e.g. Dams).
· Determine and analysis current haul cycles using historic data.
· Generating and optimising cycle times using Talpac and MineSched Software for scheduling purposes.
- Contribute toward good communication within the Mining Department and other departments by developing and maintaining a team environment, which is conducive to two-way communication.
- Contribute towards the maintenance of the image of a professional Service Department that is available to provide all services/ duties requested by other departments.
- Provide assistance to other members of the Mining Department when requested.
- Propose work practice improvement and quality control.
Required Skills & Experience
- Mining Engineering degree.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in an operating Gold open pit mine.
- Good working knowledge of mining activates
- Experience in open pit short to medium term planning and drill and blast design.
- Good computer skills and knowledge of MS Office Suite, CAD software.
- Advanced proficiency in Vulcan and Minesched software. Surpac, Talpac and Whittle software considered an asset.
- Experience with blast initiation software considered a plus (JKSimBlast, ShotPlus).
- Strong communication skills, ability to speak and write in English. Ability to speak French would be highly regarded.
- Experience working with, coaching and mentoring employees with diverse backgrounds and less experience. Strong cultural sensitivity and appreciation for Senegalese culture
Our Vision, Culture & Values
- We are committed to a culture with a friendly and informal environment; dedicated and empowered people who want rewarding careers and the ability to make good decisions that positively impact the business.
- We are a fast-growing junior miner that offers career opportunities; the work is challenging and exciting with tremendous growth and challenge.
- Health and safety is one of our highest priorities – we have an exceptional record and strive to continuously improve all practices.
- We are committed to social responsibility, to our people, and to supporting and sustaining the local communities.
Our Promise to You
Teranga Gold offers a competitive remuneration package, including excellent medical and dental benefits and insurance for employees and their dependents. Teranga Gold also provides excellent on-site accommodations and amenities including meals and laundry services, single accommodation quads with en-suite facilities, tennis courts, a fitness centre, a grass soccer pitch, basketball courts, internet access
If you are having difficulties applying, please send your CV to email@example.com