The Kinross Corporate Head Office is located in downtown Toronto and supports Kinross operations and projects worldwide. Corporate functions include Finance, Procurement, Technical Services, Business Optimization, Health & Safety, Human Resources, IT and Investor Relations.
- Execute analysis and assist in the implementation of initiatives related to high priority capital projects across the company to ensure that these projects are delivered safely, on time, and on budget
- Manage opportunities to maintain and improve project economics through cost reduction, engineering, operations improvement, and strategic initiatives through the entire project value chain
- Support operations on matters related to strategic and operational full potential as required in order to maximize project economics
- May provide technical leadership and expertise to areas including Operations Strategy, Engineering, Supply Chain, Energy, Technical Services and Continuous Improvement
- Working with project directors, project team members, contractors, and corporate and regional senior management, develop and manage the execution of initiatives to assist in the successful delivery of Kinross projects, including around commissioning and operations readiness
- Review and understand industry best practices for project implementation, commissioning, operations readiness, and value assurance and recommend improvement efforts
- Assist in the development and implementation of project studies, and business and project plans
- Resolve and advise on unique, non-routine, or escalated problems of high complexity or high risk, and provide innovative analysis and solutions
- Provide analysis that assists in decision making around development and implementation of high priority capital projects at Kinross. Present recommendations and status updates to key stakeholders
- Actively participate in implementation of action plans across the entire project value chain and oversee them as appropriate
- When necessary, implement a governance structure, a communication plan, and/or tracking mechanisms to ensure results are achieved
- Assist in the development and management of project controls systems, processes and procedures
- Provide an independent, objective view of project studies and project delivery with the goal of identifying early stage issues
- Interact with Kinross project personnel, technical staff, contractors, mine site personnel and other members of the operations strategy group to keep up-to-date on developments in the company and mining industry
- Prepare business cases and reports regarding projects and initiatives and present recommendations and status updates to key stakeholders
Education and Experience
- University degree in an analytical discipline. Engineering - particularly mechanical, civil, or electrical - strongly preferred, but allowance will be made for other highly analytical disciplines
- Additional specialized education of up to 4 years including master’s level degree or equivalent an asset
- Formal professional designation in appropriate area of expertise an asset
- Generally more than 7 years of related work experience or equivalent
- Previous experience in the mining industry, particularly related to project studies and execution and/or with EPCM firms
- Management or technical consulting experience an asset
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- “Management-level” communication skills in presentation development, oral communication and other documentation.
- Ability to provide leadership and direction to highly skilled corporate, regional and mine site staff using influence skills rather than formal reporting authority
- Highly collaborative work style, ability to work with project, technical and financial leaders
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge in financial modeling and analysis
- Developed technical report writing and presentation skills
- Strong project management skills and ability to multitask
- Must be self-directed and work well in a highly unstructured environment; comfortable with uncertainty
- Language skills in Russian, French, Arabic, Portuguese or Spanish are assets, but not mandatory. Preference is also given to candidates with international experience.
Additional Information & Closing Date
- Role will report to the Sr. Director, Project Value Assurance
- Must be open to travel, as this role will periodically require time at site. Travel can range from short, and potentially frequent, business trips to occasional travel to site for longer periods of time.
This posting will close on April 19th, 2019 at 11:59pm (EDT).
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.