The Manager of Strategic Planning reports to the Senior Manager of Business Optimization in Toronto. Purpose of role is to:
Facilitate the annual Strategic Business Planning (SBP) process, providing direct support to the Regional Senior Vice Presidents (SVPs), Regional Financial Officers (RFOs) and Site General Managers (GM) while collaborating with senior leaders from cross-functional corporate teams (Technical Services, Corporate Development, Finance, Projects, Energy, Supply Chain, HR, Environmental) to ensure the quality of the SBPs.
Provide strong business case development support from a financial evaluation and to a lesser extent, technical perspective, including preparation of presentation materials.
Contribute to margin enhancement and optimized mine planning processes through creation and execution of best practices.
Lead the Strategic Planning process
Provide guidance to sites
• Provide guidance on life of mine strategic planning decisions and capital investments / major projects from a global portfolio management perspective.
• Develop and continually improve global standards for “Strategic Options”, “Plan Updates” and “Target Case” preparation. Set timelines, prepare documentation and administer process to ensure successful completion of strategic plans. Ensure alignment between Operations, Finance and Corporate Development group requirements.
• Working closely with the Senior Manager, Business Optimization and with input from Financial Risk Management Committee (FRMC), prepare corporate guidance and direction to regions and mine sites for preparation of life of mine plans.
• Collaborate with regional and site SBP Leads to disseminate guidance and respond to questions as they arise.
Perform quality control on SBP submissions
• Work with the Corporate functional leads (in Technical Services, Corporate Development, Finance, Projects, Energy, Supply Chain, HR, Environmental) to coordinate a review of the key deliverables of the SBP to ensure that the plans are realistic, the financial assumptions and calculations reflect Kinross standards and guidance.
• Perform detailed pressure testing analysis of key plan assumptions, comparing to the appropriate reference points (previous SBP, Budget, Resource/Reserve reports) to ensure a realistic plan.
Plan and execute the annual SBP process
• Working closely with the Senior Manager, Business Optimization, set the annual schedule for the SBP.
• Be the primary point of contact for the SBP for Corporate and Regional / Site stakeholders.
• Continually seek to improve the annual process, ensuring that the needs of major stakeholders are met.
• Support transition from Strategic Planning work into annual budgeting processes by liaising closely with the Finance team.
• Support transition from Strategic Planning work to Board Strategy Reviews by liaising closely with the Corporate Development team.
Consolidate Strategic Plans and communicate findings
• Assist the Senior Manager, Business Optimization, in communication and progress updates to the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), Leadership Advisory Team (LAT), and to a subset of the SLT, the Capital Committee.
• Develop meaningful presentation materials to summarize the SBPs for presentation to the SLT at the annual Strategic Planning meetings (Strategic Options Day and SBP Days). Develop presentation materials for RVPs / GMs and guide their completion within the Region / Site.
• Develop and update the “Abacus Model”, a flexible scenario analysis tool used for strategic discussions.
• Support the development of targets that can be used during the Strategic Planning annual cycle to set expectations and measure results against expectations.
Collaborate with XERAS Lead on XERAS usage within Kinross
• Work closely with the XERAS Lead to ensure end users (at sites) are able to work effectively in the software.
• Incorporate key XERAS activities, whether improvements, maintenance, or training, into the overall SBP process and annual schedule.
• Communicate proactively with the XERAS Lead on a regular basis to stay aligned and troubleshoot issues as they arise.
• Promote the development of and increase in Xeras skillsets throughout various users.
As required, support business case development
• Support the development of business cases for investment decisions, including preparation and/or validation of analysis to ensure accuracy.
• Ensure alignment between site and regional teams on all aspects of the business case. As needed, work closely with other teams in the Operations Strategy department (e.g., Energy, Strategic Business Planning, Technical Services) or other corporate functions (e.g., Finance, HR, Legal, etc.).
• Manage the process to ensure high quality, on time submissions.
As required, lead and/or support assessment and implementation of performance improvement projects
• Execute improvement initiatives aimed at improving performance of Kinross sites, regions, or functions.
• Work collaboratively with site personnel and corporate functions to develop action plans to execute on opportunities.
• Actively participate in implementation of action plans and oversee them as appropriate. When necessary, implement a governance structure, a communication plan, and/or tracking mechanisms to ensure results are achieved.
Effectively communicate findings, progress and challenges to site and corporate management as required
Education and Experience
At least 5 years of experience in a related capacity or capacities, including but not limited to:
Experience working with senior personnel, including teams within both highly technical, operational, and financial functions; and
A minimum of two years of experience in detailed operational and/or financial analysis and modeling
Operational, major project development or mine planning experience an asset.
- Strong analytical capabilities (Excel) and excellent attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills in presentation development, oral communication and other documentation.
- Ability to collaborate with highly skilled corporate, regional and mine site staff using influence skills rather than formal reporting authority.
- Highly collaborative work style, ability to work with both technical and financial leaders
- Team player, ability to interact effectively in teams either as a leader or team member.
- Strong project management skills and ability to multitask.
- Ability to be adaptive to change and perform effectively despite sudden deadlines and changing priorities.
- Language skills in Russian, French, Arabic, Portuguese or Spanish are assets, but not mandatory. Preference is also given to candidates with international experience.
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Kinross Corporate Head Office is located in downtown Toronto and supports Kinross operations and projects worldwide. Corporate functions include Finance, Technical Services, Business Optimization, Procurement, Health & Safety, Human Resources, IT and Investor Relations.
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.