Candidates login or register below

Like Us

Candidate Login / Register
Sorry, but this job has expired. Please try another search or browse our jobs.

Metallurgy Superintendent - Laos

Job Field:
Engineering and Mineral Processing Jobs, Senior Management & Non-executive Jobs
Chemical Engineer Jobs, Metallurgist Jobs, Mineral Processing Engineer, Process Jobs, Process Management Jobs
Copper, Gold
Laos, South East Asia
Laos All
Contract Type:
Salary Description:
Attractive salary package and roster for FIFO and residential option
Phu Bia Mining
Job Ref:


                        GROW WITH PHU BIA MINING.



  • Advance your career and be a part of a high performing mining company in Laos
  • Drive metallurgical performance and improvements for a large copper-gold concentrator during peak production years
  • FIFO or Residential Roster 

PanAust Limited is an Australian-headquartered copper and gold producer in Laos, with pre-development and exploration assets in Laos, Myanmar and Papua New Guinea (PNG). The Company is focused on a sustainable business model associated with the production and sale of copper and gold, delivery of production goals and growth.


In Laos, PanAust owns a 90 per cent interest in the Lao-registered company, Phu Bia Mining Limited. The Government of Laos owns the remaining 10 per cent. Phu Bia Mining owns and operates PanAust’s Phu Kham Copper-Gold and Ban Houayxai Gold-Silver Operation.


In Myanmar, PanAust holds an 80 per cent interest in Wuntho Resources Company Limited (WRCL) and has established a joint venture with Myanmar Energy Resources Group International Company Limited (MERG), a Myanmar-based company which holds the remaining 20 per cent of WRCL. WRCL holds exploration tenements covering roughly 775 square-kilometres in Myanmar's Sagaing region and has applied for additional Exploration Licences in the region.


In PNG, PanAust holds an 80 per cent interest in the Frieda River Copper-Gold Project. Frieda River is one of the largest known undeveloped copper and gold deposits in the world and offers PanAust excellent potential for the establishment of a world-class, long-life operation.


This is a unique time to join Phu Bia Mining. The Company’s Phu Kham Copper-Gold and Ban Houayxai Gold-Silver Operations are world-class in terms of safety, production and performance. The Company is committed to continuing to deliver outstanding operational results while developing a mine closure plan that will provide sustainable outcomes for the Government and people of Laos.


Laos is a safe, developing country, located in the heart of Southeast Asia. It is bordered by Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam and China, making it the ideal base for expatriates to explore the region on rostered breaks. The capital, Vientiane, offers an attractive lifestyle for expatriate families, with modern housing options and facilities including international schools, an impressive range of restaurants, gyms, day spas, sports clubs and weekend getaways. 


Phu Bia Mining offers experienced mining professionals the opportunity to work at world-class mining operations where you can contribute to the ongoing success of the operations, gain or build on your mine closure experience, and be involved in new growth projects. Phu Bia Mining values diversity and encourages women to apply for all available positions. By joining Phu Bia Mining, you will play an important role in continuing to develop our highly motivated Lao-national workforce in line with our ongoing commitment to localisation. 

We offer an attractive salary package and roster for residential and fly in, fly out employees that includes travel in company time. Children’s education (if applicable) and housing allowance are included in the residential package. Our modern mine camps provide a range of Western and Asian food and sporting and recreational facilities, including football field, gym, pool tables and wet mess.

Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation is a conventional open pit mine producing approximately 85,000 tonnes of copper concentrate annually. The process plant, upgraded to a design capacity of 19 million tonnes per annum, comprises a SAG mill and two ball mill grinding circuits, each rated at 13 mega watts, with copper and precious metal recovery by flotation.          

Reporting to the Process Manager and leading a multi-cultural technical team, you will work closely with the Process Production Superintendents and mining department to plan optimal utilisation of the plant to deliver targeted throughput and recovery rates. Additionally, you will take an innovative approach to identifying incremental improvements to a high performing plant, specifically addressing the challenges associated with milling and grinding increasingly hardening ore. As second in charge to the Process Manager, you will act in this position as required, providing you with broader exposure to the site management team.


This is an exciting career prospect for an accomplished Metallurgy Superintendent seeking an expatriate role in a dynamic and rewarding work environment.

Your outstanding leadership and coaching skills will be critical to the ongoing development and performance of the relatively inexperienced, but very keen and willing, local Lao workforce.        This is an excellent opportunity to really make a difference and see your team grow and develop as a direct result of your efforts.


Your key responsibilities will include:


  • Developing, maintaining, modifying and improving the metallurgical strategies for the Phu Kham Copper-Gold Concentrator
  • Managing metallurgical resources with the aim of maximising throughput and metal recovery whilst maintaining the cost effectiveness of process plant operation, against a range of KPI’s
  • Managing the metallurgical laboratory for test work and projects for continuous improvement and plant optimisation
  • Resolving short to medium term metallurgical issues associated with the operating plant, identifying and implementing continuous improvement projects
  • Setting, monitoring and reporting on short term metallurgical parameters and control strategies, including setting addition rates, and controlling and monitoring usage of all mill consumables
  • Metallurgical accounting and reconciliation from the SAG mill feed to trucked final concentrate
  • Managing the development of budget/forecasting physical and cost models to accurately predict production and operating costs and setting up a system to measure performance against the models
  • Reviewing and improving standards and safe operating procedures for all metallurgical tasks (both met lab and field works)
  • All aspects of people leadership including recruitment, performance management and training and development
  • Interacting closely with PanAust Technical Services Processing Improvement team to develop a consistent approach with respect to continuous improvement and ensure information flow between site and head office is well maintained

To be successful in this role, you will require:


  • Degree qualification in Metallurgy or similar discipline is essential
  • Extensive operational experience in base metal concentrators
  • Strong technical savvy and proven experience in delivering operational improvement projects
  • Outstanding leadership and communication skills, with the ability to effectively engage with a range of key internal stakeholders
  • Commitment to training and development of Lao staff
  • Unwavering safety focus
  • A willingness to work in multicultural environment – previous expatriate experience is desirable, but not essential
    For questions regarding this position or our recruitment process, please contact Amy Murr on +856 20 2200 1484.

Closing Date:

Return to search.

This website uses cookies. Read our cookie policy for more information. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

Latest Job Listings