The Senior Network Engineer, IT Infrastructure will be a member of the Corporate IT Infrastructure team. This individual will report to the Manager, IT Infrastructure. This position requires making key decisions with global business user impact based upon personal expertise and available (occasionally incomplete) information. This position is responsible for maintaining and improving a global wide area network with diverse (terrestrial, microwave, and satellite) endpoints. This role works closely with the IT Security team to ensure the integrity of Kinross’ global network perimeter.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Support and maintain Toronto voice and data networks
- Support and maintain Wide Area Network in all Kinross global operating regions
- Responsible for continuous improvement of network services around the world
- Continually explore, evaluate, and implement opportunities for cost reduction, increased reliability, and/or improved performance
- Support Kinross’ data security requirements by ensuring that a secure network perimeter and internal network security posture are maintained
- Final pre-vendor point of escalation for network issues encountered in all Kinross operating regions
Key Responsibilities and Duties Include:
1. Manage day-to-day operation of Network Domain
- Ensure that network services meet Kinross business requirements. This requires:
- Senir-level Cisco networking skills
- Significant experience supprting mixed data/voice/video networks
- Experience in a mixed design/implementatin/support role
- Strng communication skills
- Strng knowledge of operational support processes, change management
- Strng knowledge of network security concepts and principles
- Ability t work in diverse and distributed teams with individuals of varying skill levels
- Willingness and availability t work during after-hours scheduled maintenance windows
- Willingness and availability t troubleshoot and resolve operational issues as they occur 24x7x365
2. Serve as SME and Key Implementation Resource on network infrastructure projects
- Balance operational support responsibilities with project commitments and deadlines
- Contribute to and/or manage projects with moderate to high risk and complexity
- Participate in all phases of the project lifecycle. Design, evaluate, implement, and support data, voice, and video technologies
- Travel to regional and site locations as-required to complete project initiatives
- Provide guidance and knowledge transfer to IT Support personnel around the world
- Support Kinross’ data security requirements by ensuring that a secure network perimeter and internal network security posture are maintained at all times
3. Provide escalation support to IT operations teams around the world
- Level 2 and 3 data, voice and video support for all Kinross operating sites
4. Manage Network Vendor relationships and contracts
- Ensure that the cost and quality of services provide optimum value for Kinross’ business needs
Education and Experience
- High level of knowledge in technologies and ITIL processes that are particularly relevant to IT Operations and Computing
- 8+ years of experience with Cisco Network technologies
- 5+ years of experience supporting voice and video traffic across wide area networks
- Advanced written and spoken English
- International travel to any Kinross facility is required (approximately 8 weeks per year)
- Ability to communicate in Spanish, Portuguese, French, Arabic and/or Russian is considered an asset
Technical Skills include:
- Senior-Level Cisco Networking experience required. CCNA, CCNP, CCSP, and/or CCIE certifications are an asset. Specific competency is required in:
- Ruting & Switching
- Firewall technlogies, Cisco ASA 5500 series in particular
- Experience with Network Monitoring, Network Behavior Analysis, and Configuration Management technologies is required
- Fluency with WAN optimization technologies (Riverbed, etc.) is required
- Fluency with Software Defined Network technologies (Riverbed, Silver Peak, Viptela, etc.) is required
- Experience managing network security technologies including VPN concentrators, firewalls, IPS/IDS, and vulnerability management systems is a strong asset
- Experience working with RADIUS/TACACS an asset
- Packet-level troubleshooting experience is required
- Wireless LAN support experience
- Experience working with satellite, radio, copper and fiber connections
Other important skills:
- Superior problem solving skills are an absolute requirement
- Interprets internal or external business issues and recommends best practices
- The ability to work independently or in small teams of SME’s is required
- This position receives minimal task-level instruction. This individual is expected to evaluate priorities and time commitments when managing their work schedule.
- This individual is a key part of a very small team of subject matter experts. While it is often possible to consult with other SME’s, decisions frequently need to be made entirely independently with little external validation.
- Flexibility – individual needs to be able to adapt to changing conditions, utilize feedback from peers, and change course if it is determined to be necessary.
- Good customer service/Interpersonal skills - ability to listen to the needs of employees throughout the organization and develop a strategy where technological downtime is minimal and issues are resolved quickly and definitively. Able to respond to the questions and concerns from personnel within the IT department. Ability to build relationships, work collaboratively, and resolve problems with people at all levels in the organization
Additional Information & Closing Date
- Work involves non-routine situations where established procedures do not always apply and problem resolution requires making significant modifications to existing analytical techniques and / or methods of operation.
- Work is technical and advanced in its complexity and involves a high degree of independent judgment.
- This position provides direct Level 2 and 3 support to all Kinross operating regions around the world. This individual is expected to be available on an as-needed basis to support operations around the world.
- As the network is fundamental to the availability and quality of all Kinross applications and communications tools, the ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure is mandatory.
Kinross is a Canadian-based gold mining company with mines and projects in Canada, the United States, Brazil, Chile, Russia, Ghana and Mauritania, employing approximately 9,300 people worldwide. Our core purpose is to lead the world in generating value through responsible mining.