This is an expat FIFO role: 8 weeks on / 4 weeks off roster with travel in company time to our mine site in Burkina Faso.
Teranga is a multi-jurisdictional West African gold company focused on production and development as well as the exploration of more than 5,000km2 of land located on prospective gold belts. Since its initial public offering in 2010, Teranga has produced more than 1.3 million ounces of gold from its operations in Senegal. Focused on diversification and growth, the Company is building it’s first gold mine in Burkina Faso (Waghnion Gold Operations) and is currently conducting extensive exploration programs in three countries: Burkina Faso, Senegal and Côte d’Ivoire.
Our Vision, Culture & Values
· We are committed to a culture with a friendly and informal environment; dedicated and empowered people who want rewarding careers and the ability to make good decisions that positively impact the business.
· We are a fast-growing junior miner that offers career opportunities; the work is challenging and exciting with tremendous growth and challenge.
· Health and safety is one of our highest priorities – we have an exceptional record and strive to continuously improve all practices.
· We are committed to social responsibility, to our people, and to supporting and sustaining the local communities.
Summary of Role
Reporting to the Chief Mine Engineer, the Senior Mining Engineer will be responsible for ensuring the mining operation delivers ore to the ROM pad for processing at budgeted tonnes, grade and cost. Produce quarterly rolling forecasts, yearly budgets and LOM input to maximise NPV including project evaluation. Review of fortnightly production schedules on a rolling weekly basis, the production of all weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly reports, Management of all Drill and Blast Engineering aspect with a constant view on improvement in both quality and costs, the generation and review of current and future pit designs, waste dumps, haul roads and any other mining infrastructure. Engaging and empowerment of Senegalese employees to build capacity and align with Teranga’s nationalisation strategy
This position acts as alternate to the Chief Mine Engineer when he is offsite or on rotational leave.
- Mine Planning and Scheduling
o Responsible for all aspects of mine planning and scheduling for the Forecasts and the Budgets, including liaising with the Technical Services group at Head Office.
o Responsible for short and medium term mine planning and scheduling on site using software such as Vulcan, MineSched and spreadsheets.
o Ensure quarterly production schedules and forecasts are produced on a rolling monthly basis to meet production budget.
o Ensuring achievable schedules are produced for production, budgeting and forecasting purposes; this includes short (weekly and three month rolling plan); medium (yearly and forecast); and LOM planning and scheduling.
o Development of scenarios and cost/benefit analyses for improving mining efficiencies.
o Optimal haulage profiles and associated pit and dump designs.
o Liaising and engaging with external contractors for auditing purposes (eg safety and geotechnical).
o Responsible for drill and blast designs and associated evaluation and feedback systems, with the aim to balance the competing needs of:
§ Safe & efficient blasting including improvement of geotechnical conditions, Fragmentation, Powder Factor & Heave and movement of material (i.e. minimising ore dilution).
o Work with production personnel, D&B team, explosives contractor and geologists to ensure the above is achieved.
o Responsible to ensure production and cost data across all the mining activities is captured and reported in a timely manner; this includes daily, weekly, monthly and yearly reporting.
o Ensure all data is checked and validated to ensure its integrity.
o Responsible for presentation of data for the weekly, monthly and yearly reports.
o Responsible for preparing data for generation of budgets.
o Preparation and/or review of all mining reports.
o The use of mining software (i.e., Vulcan) to carry out the following as required:
§ Pit Designs, Waste Dump Designs, Haul Road Designs & Other Infrastructure Designs (e.g. Dams, etc.)
o Fostering and empowerment of a continuous improvement culture within the mining engineering section.
o Development of ideas pipelines and proactive solutions for continuous improvement of all technical and operational aspects of mining.
o Contribute toward good communication within the Mining Department and other departments by developing and maintaining a team environment, which is conducive to two-way communication.
o Contribute towards the maintenance of the image of a professional Service Department that is available to provide all services/ duties requested by other Departments.
o Provide assistance to other members of the Mining Department when requested.
o Propose work practice improvement and quality control.
- Bachelors in Mining Engineering with 10+ years’ experience in an operating open pit mine with a minimum of 4 years’ in an expatriate role
· Some exposure to a Chief Mining Engineer role, managing technical services teams, considered an asset. Demonstrated technical expertise in mine planning and knowledge of open pit mining operations
- Demonstrated experience working with, coaching and mentoring employees with diverse backgrounds
- High level of computer skills and knowledge of MS Office Suite, CAD software, etc
· Advanced proficiency using Vulcan, MineSched for mine design and planning & open pit optimization under Whittle 4X is an asset
· Strong cost modelling & financial analysis skills using Excel.
- Strong communication skills, ability to speak and write in English. Ability to speak French would be an asset
· Ability to liaise effectively with other internal teams and departments, work in a team environment through collaboration & train less experienced members of the staff
Click on apply now to write your cover letter and forward your CV to Teranga Gold
If you have any problems, you may contact Teranga Gold directly: email@example.com