Summary of Role
This is a 2-year contract, fly-in fly-out role: 8 weeks on / 4 weeks off roster with travel in company time to our Wahgnion project & new mine site in Burkina Faso.
The role reports to the Mine Manager & is responsible to deliver ore to the process plant endeavouring to procure with minimum dilution and maximum recovery that which can be practically achieved with the resources at hand.
- Participate in short and medium term mine planning and scheduling process to confirm the schedule requirements and commit to achieving the agreed schedule.Act as relief to the Mine Superintendent.
- Supervise the mining resources and activities to meet the agreed schedule.
- Ensure monitoring and maintenance of haul routes to ensure an efficient operation.
- Ensure the monitoring and corrective action taken of pit floor standards and waste dump levels.
- Ensure monitoring of pit wall angles and batter cleaning.
- Ensure mining is carried out in accordance with the mining short-term schedule.
- Ensure all aspects of the operation are carried out in a safe and efficient manner and in accordance with statutory obligations.
- Monitor pit dewatering and ensure corrective action taken as necessary.
- Keep necessary records of all aspects of the operation including tonnes moved, equipment hours, shift reports, check sheets etc.
- Ensure statutory responsibilities for Pit operations (including conduct of regular inspections etc)
- Any other duties as required by the Mine Superintendent commensurate with the employee’s skills, competence and training.
- Carries out duties of coordinating Mine Production staff and equipment in the most cost effective manner possible to deliver required tonnes and grade.
- Plans work primarily on a weekly and monthly time-frame to respond to variations in operational conditions and requirements (e.g., short term schedule changes, introduction of new ore from other sources)
- Will monitor daily production in order to achieve the weekly and monthly plan.
- Support and encourage a team approach with shared objectives within the mining production operating team.
- Review and communicate both individual and team performance in daily, weekly, monthly team meetings.
Policy, Procedure and Process Development
- Apply policy and procedures for the Mining Production Process.
- Recommends improvements to the process that may lead to safer, more productive operation with better recovery.
Reports, Procedure and Process Development
- Carries out activities in monitoring of Mining production process including: measures, log sheets, reporting and tracking (performance and incidents)
- Monitor specific measures for various mining production activities relating to drill and blast, load, haul and dump performance.
Innovation and Improvement
- Identifies, investigates and implements improvements to the operating performance of the Mining Process, particularly those areas which are directly under mining production control, e.g. Load and Haul
Required Skills & Experience
- Mining Engineering background or previous experience as an Mine Operations Superintendent
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in a hard rock open pit mining environment, in progressively responsible positions
- Operating surface mining equipment or heavy mining equipment experience
- Demonstrated experience working with, coaching and mentoring employees with diverse backgrounds
- Ability to train less experienced staff members
- Working skills and knowledge of a computer use including MS Office programs such as Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Strong communication skills, ability to speak and write in English (French is an asset)
- Strong cultural sensitivity and appreciation for Burkinabe culture
- Driver’s License.
Teranga is a multi-jurisdictional West African gold company focused on production and development as well as the exploration of approximately 6,400 km2 of land located on prospective gold belts. Since its initial public offering in 2010, Teranga has produced more than 1.7 million ounces of gold at its Sabodala operation in Senegal. Focused on diversification and growth, the Company is preparing for the first gold pour at its second gold mine, Wahgnion, which is located in Burkina Faso, as well as carrying out exploration programs in three West African countries: Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire and Senegal. The Company had more than 4.0 million ounces of gold reserves as of June 30, 2018. Teranga applies a rigorous capital allocation framework for its investment decisions and is focused on funding future organic growth plans responsibly.
Steadfast in its commitment to set the benchmark for responsible mining, Teranga operates in accordance with the highest international standards and aims to act as a catalyst for sustainable economic, environmental, and community development as it strives to create value for all of its stakeholders. Teranga is a member of the United Nations Global Compact and a leading member of the multi-stakeholder group responsible for the submission of the first Senegalese Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative revenue report.
Our Vision, Culture & Values
- We are committed to a culture with a friendly and informal environment; dedicated and empowered people who want rewarding careers and the ability to make good decisions that positively impact the business.
- We are a fast-growing junior miner that offers career opportunities; the work is challenging and exciting with tremendous growth and challenge.
- Health and safety is one of our highest priorities – we have an exceptional record and strive to continuously improve all practices.
- We are committed to social responsibility, to our people, and to supporting and sustaining the local communities.
If you are having difficulties applying, please send your CV to email@example.com