Position: Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer – Burkina Faso
Duration: 24 months
Summary of Role
The development of employees is a key business priority; all training and development staff have an overall mandate to support and drive this priority.
As a member of the centralized training and development team, supports the company wide focus and commitment to the development of employees; the training and development approach and standard practices are expected to achieve industry best practice’s and shall be aligned across the organization including where there are common training and development projects and solutions; mining department training materials, practices and modules will be customized only as required by the unique needs of the mining department.
The role and incumbent(s) will be critical enablers to achieve our goals related to employee development; the Trainer has the ability to greatly influence and develop the capability and therefore capacity of our workforce as he/she will work very closely with approximately 200 staff (heavy equipment operators) as well as coach and influence management and all staff in how they work with to coach and develop employees.
- The Heavy Equipment Trainer will provide dedicated training and development support with a focus on safety, technical, functional and operational support to the Mining Department; this includes the following:
- Evaluate, train and assess mine operators on all heavy equipment and other site based heavy equipment operators as may be required.
- Reduce number of incidents of property damage through a proactive staff education profile.
- Develop, as may be required, training modules and assessment tools for heavy equipment operators.
- Maintain training documentation for all heavy equipment operators.
- Assess light vehicle operator skills specifically related to use within the active mining area.
- Ensure all training is implemented based on individual training needs through agreed and approved individual development plans (IDP’s) and data is tracked, available and properly compiled for all reporting requirements and as per required timelines
- Participate in core initiatives and projects as required including development of competency models
- Support through communication, reinforcement and role model behaviour other non-technical, core training such as leadership development, business performance training, etc.
Department (Mining Specific):
- Review and develop training modules and assessments for all heavy equipment in the mining fleet.
- Demonstrates an in depth understanding of the correct and safe operating of mining equipment to achieve high equipment efficiency and utilisation rates with a focus on cost reduction including but not limited to; loaders, haul trucks, excavators, dozers, graders, heavy road trucks, light vehicles and various support equipment.
- Continually improve the Operator training programs to ensure the continuous development of staff.
- Ensure mine department training data is tracked, available and properly compiled as per reporting requirements including as it related to internal mining department needs and as per Training & Development team.
- Coordinate assessment workshops and continually conduct audits of operator capabilities.
- Review and communicate individual performance as per the TGZ performance review timelines
- Identify, investigate and implement improvement projects to the operating performance of the heavy equipment used in the mining process.
- Ensure all aspects heavy equipment operation are carried out in a safe and efficient manner.
- Recommend improvements to mining area processes that may lead to safer, more productive operation with optimal recovery.
- Demonstrate commitment to safe work practices by example and act immediately on any unsafe undertakings or situations observed and monitor standards.
- Actively promote and foster the development of proactive behaviours that make safety an integral part of all work activities.
- Ensure training and development plans for direct reports staff as outlined in competency models and training matrices
Training Data & Information and Reporting
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and advanced qualifications / certification in training and development
- Minimum 15 years’ related experience in a hard rock open pit mining environment, in progressively positions with 10 years’ experience in an equipment training position
- Previous experience as a Heavy Equipment Trainer Assessor & a recognised training/assessment qualification ideally at a level 5
- Must have experience operating surface mining equipment or heavy construction equipment (Experience with CAT equipment is highly desirable
- Must be bilingual French & English; speaking, reading & writing in both languages
- Intermediate level skill and knowledge of a computer use including MS Office programs such as Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Strong administrative skills with regards to training and assessment, document management and reporting
- Able to adjust to changing situations and re-prioritise and re-plan training and assessment activities to meet the Mining Production activities
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to work effectively with various groups of people
If you are having difficulties applying, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Teranga is a multi-jurisdictional West African gold company focused on production and development as well as the exploration of more than 5,000 km2 of land located on prospective gold belts. Since its initial public offering in 2010, Teranga has produced more than 1.2 million ounces of gold from its operations in Senegal. Focused on diversification and growth, the Company is constructing its Wahgnion Gold Project in Burkina Faso with production expected in late 2019. Teranga has a strong balance sheet and the financial flexibility to execute on its growth strategy. The Company has nearly 4.0 million ounces of gold reserves from its combined Sabodala Gold operations and Wahgnion Gold Project and is committed to building this reserve with continuing our exploration programs in three countries: Burkina Faso, Senegal and Côte d’Ivoire.
Our Vision, Culture & Values
- We are committed to a culture with a friendly and informal environment; dedicated and empowered people who want rewarding careers and the ability to make good decisions that positively impact the business.
- We are a fast-growing junior miner that offers career opportunities; the work is challenging and exciting with tremendous growth and challenge.
- Health and safety is one of our highest priorities – we have an exceptional record and strive to continuously improve all practices.
- We are committed to social responsibility, to our people, and to supporting and sustaining the local communities.