Supervises, executes and leads the Root Cause Analysis (RCA) program initiatives and processes. The RCA Specialist is responsible for leading, facilitating and providing subject matter expertise as well as supporting site personnel with RCAs. Additionally responsible for maintaining quality aspects of the RCA process, training and developing unique solutions that will help reduce reoccurring safety incidents. This role has a high level of visibility across the operations and provides feedback and solutions for risk reduction through the RCA process. This position reports to the RCA Program Manager.
- Supervises, executes and leads the RCA program initiatives and processes.
- Conducts and leads RCA investigations in order to determine the fundamental causes of the incident that may extend beyond the immediate cause.
- Assembles incident resolution teams to drive incidents to closure; collaborating with Operations and Maintenance departments and other staff in problem solving efforts to improve safety.
- Monitors action items status through completion.
- Performs data analysis necessary to 1) determine the true root causes of a system, process or product and 2) identify trends, risks, gaps in order to drive continuous improvement efforts.
- Compiles and review all relevant documentation pertaining to the incident investigation (e.g. policies, procedures, statements, photos, etc.)
- Interfaces within the CAPA database tool and cross functional department representation to manage CAPAs, coordinate CAPA meetings, acquire and report on CAPA KPI’s.
- Coordinates communications regarding findings, resolutions, action items, etc.
- Provide status and trend reports and updates to the RCA Manager on a routine basis.
- Responsible for providing RCA training to all levels of the organization.
- Defines process improvement activities and performance management best-practices as well as process standardization.
- Identifies and escalates issues within the RCA process to ensure expedient and effective resolutions.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- High School diploma or equivalent and seven (7) years Health & Safety, Engineering, Process Improvement, Technical experience or related experience/field OR
- Bachelor’s degree and three (3) years Health & Safety, Engineering, Process Improvement, Technical experience or related experience/field OR
- Master’s degree and one (1) year of Health & Safety Engineering, Process Improvement, Technical experience or related experience/field
- Ability to analyze information of considerable difficulty and draw valid conclusions
- Strong communication skills, including written and verbal skills, effective at all levels of the organization
- Ability to coach and influence leadership at all levels of the organization; works well and builds trust from frontline employees to Sr. Leaders
- Strong facilitator and mediator qualities (creating inclusive environment, stimulates conversations, sets guidelines, remains impartial, high-level of perceptiveness, etc.
- Possess consultative/collaborative style and approach with proven ability to develop credible relationships within all levels of the organization; maintaining a calm disposition during investigations/RCA meetings
- Ability to drive process creation, change management, and continuous improvement
- Ability to collect and analyze information, problem-solve, and make decisions
- Ability to travel as needed (Up to 75% of time), may include international travel and travel to remote locations
- Microsoft Office Skills
- Demonstrated leadership qualities that encompass amongst other things, a naturally inquisitive, analytical problem solver, detail-oriented, positive disposition, high level of accountability, motivating others, adapting to change, encouraging others to succeed, inspiring ideas, cultivates a positive team culture that creates an inclusive environment, and seeking out way to serve others.
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- RCA/Incident investigation background
- Six Sigma experience or certification
- Knowledge of MSHA/OSHA/other regulatory agency requirements
- Previous experience in a mining, metal manufacturing, heavy industrial, or fabrication environment
- Detailed oriented with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical, organizational, negotiating skills
- This position requires domestic and international travel to FCX sites on an as needed basis.
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required.
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as allowed by applicable state laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of company business or while on company travel); or
Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability
JobRoot Cause Analysis Specialist - Health and Safety - Safford, AZ
Primary LocationUnited StatesArizonaSafford 5 (Mine Operations)